Passing the savings on?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by 1MajorTom, Jul 23, 2007.

?

pass the savings on?

1. I will stick with my original price

25 vote(s)
    37.3%
  2. sure I'll pass the savings on to the customer

11 vote(s)
    16.4%
  3. they accepted my price, doesn't matter how long it took me to complete the job.

29 vote(s)
    43.3%
  4. in my book, i cut no one a break

2 vote(s)
    3.0%
  1. 1MajorTom

1MajorTom Senior Moderator

One of the trucks needed a new rear end, so Matt took it to a guy that came referred. Matt never asked how much it would cost. The job needed to get done regardless. When Matt went to pick up the truck, the guy told him how much, and Matt says, "are you sure you charged me enough, that doesn't sound right." The guy says, "well normally I charge 'such and such', but this job was so easy, everything just came off so nice, and went back perfectly. Sometimes I'll be wrenching for hours, but this wasn't like that with your truck, so i'm passing the savings on to you."

So I got to thinking....Say you give an estimate for a price for a lawn cut. After mowing it, it was way easier than you expected, and you got done a lot quicker than you anticipated. When you send out the monthly invoice, do you discount the price you previously quoted the customer? Or do you stick to your original price and figure it's better for you to keep the extra few jacksons in your pocket, than to let them keep 'em in theirs?

2. IN2MOWN

IN2MOWN LawnSite Platinum Member

I think it depends on the job. For mowing I would stick with the same price but this happens to me with fall cleanups. If I quote them 1.5 to 2 hours of work and for some reason I can finish in an hour I will lower the price.

3. Turfdude

Turfdude LawnSite Bronze Member

Jodi,

Like the saying goes... sometimes u eat the bear & sometimes it eats u....

If u underestimate on a job, thats on u... most people have the too bad attitude and get alligator arms if they even think of reaching for their wallets.

4. NNJLandman

NNJLandman LawnSite Bronze Member

Lets say the mechanic tells Matt, $350.00 for the work, come to find it was a pain to take apart, now the price is $650.00 for the extra time.

Dont you think customers would have a hard time paying the higher price, plus now the job is done, what are you going to do, take it back?

Also, you cut a lawn, it goes fast and was easy, so your making more money then you expected, you won't think twice about skipping it up now, and you have a satisfied customer.

5. deere615

deere615 LawnSite Fanatic

No because the customer accepted my price and in my mind it makes up for the jobs that were harder and took longer than accepted.

6. jsaunders

jsaunders LawnSite Bronze Member

Look at it this way- When the truck breaks down again, where are you going to go? I have $100 that says it will be back in his shop- he sounds trustworthy for sure, and that is what service is all about.

Also with the lawn- depends on how much faster/money was left sitting. If the price was left alone you better make sure that job would get that little bit more attention each visit.
    Joel:waving:

7. causalitist

causalitist LawnSite Senior Member

if it is alot faster than i thought i will, but just a little, and i make sure to call the customer and personally tell them.

i only do this if the customer seems like someone who will respect me for it and keep me around alot longer since im a trustworthy person etc.
    if they seem like the type to just take advantage of it and still move on if they find a chaper price, i dont discount.

8. lawnman_scott

lawnman_scott LawnSite Fanatic

Its kind of different, most of us charge by the job whereas a mechanic charges by the hour. I would stick to my price. 5 years ago I would cut a break, but I have seen enough, so I would probably tell them it was alot more work than I thought, but I will honor my price.

9. robbo521

robbo521 LawnSite Senior Member

wait till you have to take it back for another fix and it will get you then!

10. fiveoboy01

fiveoboy01 LawnSite Silver Member

Well there is probably a little difference here.

Jodi, I'm "assuming" that you were not given a price up-front, correct? Because it had to be done regardless, and Matt never asked what it would cost, is what you said.

I have never cut someone's lawn without giving the price first. Generally, if the LCO has enough experience, they are not going to be far off on the price quote. And rarely will a customer will say "just cut it, I don't care what it costs". They want a price first.

To answer the question, No, I don't refund the money, because the customer has agreed to the price before hand. The job is worth whatever the customer thinks is fair/is willing to pay. Because it took less time than anticipated does not mean a discount is forthcoming, because there was an agreement on price before the work was done.