Past due letter needed

Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by FERT-TEK, Jun 26, 2008.

1. FERT-TEK

FERT-TEK LawnSite Bronze Member

I am looking for a subtle but effective past due letter I may use on a late paying customer that I actually want to retain. Two months ago I was hired by this customer to repair damage to his lawn caused by a bobcat used for a home addition. At that time I did some other landscape work totaling $ 800.00. Since the work was complete I received one payment for $200 and the promise of payment in full at the end of June. As I type this I am getting ready to make out next months invoices including his.

Do any of you have a successful past due notice that is subtle but effective in reclaiming money due.

2. bribrius

bribrius LawnSite Member

Dear Sir,

It has come to my attention in reviewing my outstanding accounts that you still have monies owed to me. I would like to take this opportunity to ask you to pay all monies due as soon as possible not to exceed three days. While in some instances i will take the first born child, choice of daughters, or a relinquishment of your assets as a medium of payment i would really prefer the monies just be paid in full and not bartered due to the rising prices of fuel and my inability to have the gas station barter with me. If monies are not available i will take the previous mentioned mediums along with the lawn and topsoil since attaching your house structure would be coslty and time consuming as well as making my gas station difficulties more difficult since moving housing sections is fuel coslty.

thankyou for your time.

3. FERT-TEK

I will have to look into the child labor laws in IL to see if that would work.

Thanks for the reply bribrius!

4. DiyDave

DiyDave LawnSite Bronze Member

NEBS 4 part collection set! works pretty good, you start charging them the maximum interest your state will allow, generally they pay or make arrangements for partial payments.:cool2:

5. FERT-TEK

NEBS, sounds familiar is this something that can be bought at Staples or Office Max? I am no looking to hit them with a hammer just yet just some coaxing would work.

6. DiyDave

DiyDave LawnSite Bronze Member

Sorry, NEBS is New England Business Supply, large printing Co with several locations, nationwide. Just google NEBS.:waving:

7. Roger

Roger LawnSite Fanatic

"'Subtle" and "effective" are probably contradictory terms for this kind of letter. All you need is a simple statement that their invoice remains outstanding and you would like to get your money. People who have outstanding money usually know the story, your letter isn't telling them something they already know. Rather than subtle, be blunt.

8. Pilgrims' Pride

Pilgrims' Pride LawnSite Senior Member
    from MA.

have you tried using the phone?

9. FERT-TEK

Roger and Pilgrims

Pilgrims, I never thought of it that way. It is true that I wouldn't be telling them something they don't already know.

Roger, I spoke directly to them last month about this and was promised payment in full by the end of this month. I have been patient because they have been a source of good referrals.

10. Roger

Roger LawnSite Fanatic

After already talking with them about the unpaid balance, and getting a promise, yet no payment, makes it even more difficult. Do you sense they feel something is owed to them for the referrals? Has there ever been anything discussed, or compensation given for the referrals?