Pat on my back, I past the test!!!

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by Reliable Lawn Care, Mar 24, 2005.

1. Reliable Lawn Care

Reliable Lawn Care LawnSite Member

I want to thank all of you for advice I have gotten here at Lawn Site, I studied hard, took the test and past the test my first time. It feels great to have these credentials with me. I now will pass the same advice to future Lawn Care Operators you have given me, it worked!!!!!! Signed Fully Legal
  2. QualityLawnCare4u

QualityLawnCare4u LawnSite Gold Member

Congrats on the test! I have not took mine yet but am preparing for it.
  3. green with envy

green with envy LawnSite Member

Keep up the good work... Always more to learn.....

4. goodgreen

goodgreen LawnSite Senior Member

I took my state licensing test too and passed...but then they told me there was a specialized section I had to take too. So I grabbed the sheet and tried to take the Turf Services section. What I realized too late is that the folks at our local state extension office never offered me or explained about the second book, so I failed that part of it. I can still take the Turf test in another city, but then I found out you have to work with a company for 2 years to qualify. My question is, before I submitted Monday and took a day off work, why don't officials give a full explanation of what is required? I'm just a small one-guy operation, but I want to be more professional and offer more services. I've had people asking me for feritilization and pest control for 5 years but backed away because I knew there were penalties. So I tried to become certified and all it's all been a hassle. Any suggestions? Right now, I'm just going to continue to offer my regular services.
  5. dcondon

dcondon LawnSite Silver Member

Good Job!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Keep up the great work!! :waving:
  6. Williams Services

Williams Services LawnSite Senior Member

Congrats! But just because you've got the piece of paper that says you can legally do it, that doesn't make you an expert. I'm still a student, and I always will be. If the opportunities to further my knowledge about God's creation cease to exist, it's because I'm dead.

Think about it - in our line of work, we need to know some entomology (including migration patterns), biology/rodentology, chemistry (including reactions to certain chems), meteorology, horticulture/botany, soil types and conditions, etc., etc. In short, what we do encompasses such a broad spectrum of life, if we're going to be experts, we need to know something about everything. Since we don't, the closest we can come is to do good detective work and learn as we go.

That said - good luck!
  7. tjgray

tjgray LawnSite Senior Member

Absolutely good advice :)

Goodgreen I am sorry about your troubles but because of the above I see a two year requirement as minimal.
  8. green with envy

green with envy LawnSite Member

Good Green, Check out the Mich Dept. of Ag website at
    www.michigan there is all of the info you need for licensing and certification. Also in Michigan you have to be certified and then get your business licensed to apply pesticides.

Ther is a loophole about the two year rule. If you ever worked for a company and they/ you applied pesticides for them you can do a "Notorized statement of experience"

Give the dept. of ag a call they are very willing to help people out.
    Sorry I am not in your zone so I do not know any of the people for you to reach. if you have problems P.M. me and I can give you some names and numbers in Lansing to talk to.

Good luck,
  9. Reliable Lawn Care

Reliable Lawn Care LawnSite Member

Understood completly and very good advice for all to go by. I will be moving at a slower pace in this field to make sure I do it correctly and safely the first time each and every time.

Thanks for the advice.
  10. Garth

Garth LawnSite Senior Member

Exceptional advice that is. Congratulations and good luck.