patching a poly tank?

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by ted putnam, Dec 12, 2007.

1. ted putnam

ted putnam LawnSite Platinum Member

I have a PG Ultra. The tank has a couple of 1 inch cracks coming from a couple of the mounting studs molded into the tank...causing slow drip. I'd like to fix myself if possible. New tank, nearly $200. Was thinking fiberglass resin might work. Anybody got any suggestions? I know this isn't exactly the right forum but I thought spray guys might have a little more insight.Thanks for any help given.

2. Ric

Ric LawnSite Fanatic

Ted

I have caulked a crack with silicone caulking with some success. However the crack was above the water line near the lid and only kept water from splashing out. Poly tanks are very susceptible to UV light and become brittle. A Spray retailer in my area will mold outlets into poly tanks when they are new, but they say older tanks can't be fixed. I wouldn't mind learning a way to fix cracks correctly myself.

3. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

It can be welded.

4. ted putnam

Explain further if you don't mind. I'm not familiar with that, but I'm willing to try. The worst that can happen is I ruin the tank. It's in the trash if I can't fix it anyway.
    Thanks
    Ted

5. boats47

boats47 LawnSite Member

Use West systems fiberglass repair for boats. The key is to drill the cracks at the ends to stop spidering, sand the area with 60-80 grit paper to give you a rough surface, clean the surface with simple green degreaser and then with alcohol. West systems is easy to use and has different additives like fiberglass powder to strengthen the patch. Be sure to extend at least 4-6 inches past the cracks. Prep is 99% of the job trust me on this one.

6. RigglePLC

RigglePLC LawnSite Fanatic

Try drilling a hole and put in a new fitting. Even if you don't use the fitting for anything. Most of the tank companies like Raven and Snyder have kits and gaskets for putting in a through- tank fitting.

7. ted putnam

Thank you so much. I appreciate the info. I knew I would have to sand and prep...didn't think about drilling the holes but makes sense and had no clue whether fiberglass would adhere to the plastic. Thanks again:clapping:

8. stevesmowing

stevesmowing LawnSite Senior Member

hot gas welding. Many thermoplastics can we welded. It is a special welder that is required.

9. mkroher

mkroher LawnSite Senior Member

Polyethylene can't be welded. Polypropylene can.

Tanks are usually made of polyethylene.

10. Ric

Ric LawnSite Fanatic

mkroher

I googled "Polyethylene welding" and found this site.

http://www.arizonatools.com/tools/plastic-rod-supplies/

As you can see they sell both Polyethylene and Polypropylene welding rods for the welding machines they sell. How good these welds hold is any ones guess, Welding Plastic is totally new to me.