patchy dry/ sandy lawn????

Discussion in 'Landscape Maintenance' started by l&slawncare1990, May 13, 2011.

1. l&slawncare1990

l&slawncare1990 LawnSite Member

I have a patchy sandy lawn that I am thinking of aerating, over seeding and putting a top coat of about an inch of top soil/ compost mix does this seem proper. or are there any suggestions. Last fall with the dry weather we had the lawn all torn up and some top soil brought in and over seeded but it didn't really take in some spots very patchy. Any suggestions would help thanks.

2. Dr.NewEarth

Dr.NewEarth LawnSite Bronze Member

You meant top dress with soil before you seed. This sounds like a logical plan.

3. Smallaxe

Smallaxe LawnSite Fanatic

The patchiness is just a function of the seeding process an more topsoil and a redo this time of year isn't the best thing to do... Overseed the patchy areas and topdress with compost, rather than bury whats growing... The aerator will out right kill little seedlings that did survive... You know that, correct?

4. l&slawncare1990

My plan was to aerate and then overseed so the seed gets into the plugs taken out and then spread a top coat of top soil/ compost mix......I wish I could upload a picture. it is very very sandy soil got so dried out from last year. You can dig 2-4 inches and its all sandy and dry and hard. It filled in pretty good however you can see where the lines are from the drop spreader and the yard is completely covered just very patchy hard to describe. I thought right now was the best time to do this. Thanks for the help. any more comments and recommendation would be very helful

5. Smallaxe

Smallaxe LawnSite Fanatic

Your plan is to bury the seed to a greater depth than is sensible, since Grass Seed should be about a 1/4" under a High Moisture Holding Material...

Hence the FOLLY of aerating for seed bed... Thank you for making my point abundantly clear... :)

Oh, and Good Luck BTW...

6. Patriot Services

Patriot Services LawnSite Fanatic

Aerating for the wrong reasons seems to be a common problem on here.
    Followed closely by improper seeding practices.

7. l&slawncare1990

Ok I am looking for advice I am not saying I knew excatly the right thing I am asking for advice on what to do not to prove a point. Is there somone that can give me the right way to do this type of fix. Like I said it is very very sandy soil and grass seed will not germinate in sand we all know that. Thats why I want to aerate(plug holes in ground) and then to top dress with 1/2 inch or an inch of good top soil/ compost. I am just asking for advice thanks...

8. agrostis

agrostis LawnSite Silver Member

Fall is the best time to grow grass. Sandy soil with no irrigation...Wait until September 1

9. Patriot Services

Patriot Services LawnSite Fanatic

What species of grass? Loosen the top layer with a rake. Top dress with a 50/50 mix topsoil and compost. Seed with a spreader. Use a leaf rake on its backside to place seed 1/4 inch under soil in good contact. Water to keep seed damp not flooded.
    Posted via Mobile Device

10. l&slawncare1990

Yea But until then the yard will look like crap haha. What is the best way to do it now. I know that spring is also a great time to plant grass. What is the best way to go about this now. I am getting my bob cat over and everything next week what is the best way to do it next week. Thanks.