Patchy lawn

Discussion in 'Turf Renovation' started by MeadowsLawnCare, Jun 15, 2007.

1. MeadowsLawnCare

MeadowsLawnCare LawnSite Member

I need some help with my personal lawn. They built my house last year and planted seed in the summer but didn't maintain it well, I purchased it this winter so was unable to see what the lawn was like. Well now that its all come in the front yard is patchy as hell. The grass that is growing is pretty decent (other than its turning brown from lack of water which im taking care of now) But there are completly bare spots all over mostly in the front yard. I live right by the river so the soil is really sandy. Good for growing stuff, but it dries out fast. Is there a grass seed that I would be able to plant this time of the year and actually have it grow if i water it regulary that would be easy to maintain all year? Also should I put some fertalizer down also? I know its a terriable time of the year to plant grass but my lawn looks like ****. Thanks in advance.

2. EJD Lawnpride

EJD Lawnpride LawnSite Senior Member

You can plant seed now,but will get more weed competition. Try topdressing the areas with a soil/compost mixture and overseed. If its a new lawn it will need 5 lbs. of N for the first 3 years to really help get it established. I would put .5lbs of N/1000ft2 every 6 weeks. In winter put 1.5 lbs N for an early spring green up.

3. MeadowsLawnCare

So just get some soil to put right on top of the barespots then overseed the whole lawn. Then put some fertalizer down right after i plant, then 6 weeks later?

4. EJD Lawnpride

What i did for my neighbor was lay soil down on top of bare areas,overseeded entire lawn,raked the seed into the soil on the bare spots,fertilized entire lawn,then covered the soil areas with straw. Three weeks later and their entire lawn looked great. Then i had them start a fert. program

5. MeadowsLawnCare

Thanks! I will let you know how it turns out! Can you recommend seed?

6. EJD Lawnpride

I would use a mixture of seed. Not just one type. That way if you get hit by disease it won't hurt all of it.

7. PSUturf

PSUturf LawnSite Senior Member

It sounds like your lawn might be almost all perennial rye which is common with new seedings that are neglected or don't use a quality seed mix. Definitely use a Kentucky blue, fine fescue, perennial rye mix. Since you probably have a lot of rye try for a blend with 20% or less perennial rye. Topdress with soil, seed, apply fert and keep continually moist. Get a battery powered timer if you aren't able to water several times each day. You'll get many weeds in summer but they can be dealt with later.

8. MeadowsLawnCare

I planted a "tuff stuff" mix after your first reply and its just now starting to pop. Hopefully it will handle well, got the n down too. I will let you know what it looks like in a couple of weeks. Ty for the help!