Patchy Seed Growth

Discussion in 'Turf Renovation' started by brianj42, May 13, 2008.

1. brianj42

brianj42 LawnSite Member

Hi All

New to the forum so please be gentle.

I have hand seeded a new lawn and thankfully I started to get shoots within a week. The shoots are growing and growing currently about 2". But there are a lot of patches where absolutely nothing is happening, not even a peek. Someone told me to wait patiently for at least 3 weeks which is where I am now, but still nothing on the patches. The lawn at the moment looks like a grass dalmation with lots of patches growing like crazy and nothing in the rest. I would estimate that the growth covers only about 30% of the area and the rest is barren.

Will the rest come through or am I just as well overseeding the patches and wait again ?

I just find it strange that some is growing at a fast and furious rate and nothing in the rest.

As far as the weather goes, at the moment we are having a lovely sunny/rain scenario going on so perfect for the grass and if by chance it does start to look dry I am watering a few times a day on the sunny days.

2. hickslawns

hickslawns LawnSite Member

First of all, welcome to the site. I am not sure how your temperatures and grasses compare, but here goes. If night time temps are dipping low, then your growth will be slower. It is possible some of your seed got washed away or is simply slow to come up for whatever reason. I would be patient and see. Did you fertilize the lawn at all? What are your soil conditions? What type of seed did you put down? Bluegrass takes 30 days to germinate. Good luck.
  3. brianj42

brianj42 LawnSite Member

Hi Phillip

Thanks for the response. Weather here at the moment is hot during the day about 25 degrees and down to about 8 at night. Not sure what type of seed it is as its all in Bulgarian, I can make out that its 70% Lollium Perenne and 30% Festuca Arundinacea, which I am sure will make more sense to you than I.

The spreading was a bit haphazard by hand, but have since covered with a lovely organic compost/mulch which we dug from the local forests. The soil beneath isn't the best soil, it took a pick and 2 back breaking days to loosen it, more of a light grey than a lovely deep brown.

I'm keeping it watered three times a day at the moment as the days are very sunny.

I reseeded patches a little yesterday and covered with more of the forest compost.

I suppose I need to be a little more patient which is quite hard on a first attempt lawn.

I will let you know the outcome.

Once again, many thanks

4. Smallaxe

Smallaxe LawnSite Fanatic

Welcome Brian,

My thinking is that if it is going to take 2 weeks to a month to come up - so be it. However, if conditions are right for it to germinate sooner then that is good.

It only makes sense that if one spot germinates and another spot does not - it is very likely it never will. [same seed, same conditions] I give it a couple days tops b4 putting down more seed. JMHO.
  5. brianj42

brianj42 LawnSite Member

I reseeded today and covered with a nice mulch / compost from the forest. I'll let you know the results.

Thanks to all so far