Pathetic Letter from Customer

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Darryl G, Jun 21, 2003.

1. Darryl G

Darryl G LawnSite Fanatic

I received a letter today from a good customer (5% of gross sales since I started the biz). They’re not exactly a regular customer, they call a few times a year to have me mow the lawn and clean the place up. The first time I mowed the lawn, it took 9 hours. The last time (the current bill) only took 2.75 hrs. I bill them hourly.

Here’s how it reads:

Tuesday June 2003

Dear Darryl,

We are in a fix, drowning in debts that are unpayable all at once so that we lost power for four days, no phone service, and no fuel for water. It is slowly being worked out with all the above companies. All but giving them our first born male child. He is living too far away from us and they haven’t the time to get him.

Enclosed are 2 post-dated checks. It is the best we can do. We really appreciate your kindness and loyalty and we certainly will pass along your name with stars to whoever buys this old house. We are going away for a week to stay with family up near the Cape. During this period at least one of your checks will clear. If you feel you can take more punishment feel free to give us another cut. The grass needs it. If not we understand why you won’t, you have bills as well. We are awaiting the papers for my aunt’s car so that we can sell it and catch up a bit. If you know anyone who would like a Caddy it should be on the market in about two weeks.

Very truly,

Laura ******

Anyone need a mowing account?

2. At least they're honest about it.

Dave

3. ElephantNest

ElephantNest LawnSite Bronze Member
    from La.

What's pathetic about that?!? At least they have the common courtesy to let you know, instead of just screwing you over like a lot of people would have done. Have you or your family never hit hard times? Jesus, man...count your blessings.

4. Jimmy348

Jimmy348 LawnSite Member

How can you call them pathetic after they obviously took a significant amount of time to put the letter together in the first place.

5. Darryl G

You guys...

From Websters Dictionary: pathetic - arousing pity, sorrow etc.

If that letter doesn't arouse pity and sorrow, I don't know what does.

They're nice people and I appreciate the letter and that they're making an effort to pay. I may mow the lawn if I have a chance, but it's a long way out for me and I have to leave the trailer behind. I usually do them to fill in gaps in my work load since they don't care when it gets done.

6. wmsland

wmsland LawnSite Member
    from NE OHIO

I agree why are you calling them pathetic? It seems to me that they are making an effort to settle up their bill. I admire their honesty it takes a lot to admit what they told you. I wish some of my people were that honest and forthcoming. I would rather have two post dated checks than no check at all.

7. Darryl G

Geez guys...you run a lawn care business and operate a computer but don't know the meaning of the word pathetic.

Now that's truly pathetic!

Never mind...sorry I mentioned it. I'll tell it to someone who understands english.:angry:

8. leadarrows

leadarrows LawnSite Senior Member
    from N/A

Unless you are willing to type a book on how you are thinking about something it is easy to misinterpret statements on here. It has happened to me too. Don't let it bother you. Sense you explained you meant it in the literally sense I am sure every one understands were you were coming from now. You just picked an usual way of saying it. It is pathetic that that has happened to them. Most people would just say sad or depresing though. My unrequested 2 cents.:)

9. Jusmowin

Jusmowin LawnSite Senior Member

Im with David on this one, as I would keep them on your client list. We all have probley been in this sort of jam of some copasaty at one time or anouther

10. cos

cos LawnSite Addict

You sounded to me to have no sorrow and then asked if anyone wanted an account. That's the way I read it.