Pathetic

Discussion in 'Organic Lawn Care' started by cedarcroft, Aug 30, 2006.

1. cedarcroft

cedarcroft LawnSite Senior Member

Its sad that the Organic forum is so friggin' DEAD. I think we are on the cusp of Organics being readliy accepted as standard procedure for lawn and tree care and yet thsi forum is a ghost town. This worrys me. everyday I am researching products and practices and trying to formulate a viable corporate structure to educate customers and also earn a living doing so. I come here to see what others have to say and maybe gain some knowledge and it seems like in the last 6-8 months the activity here has dried up.
    I know there are a few people on here who make a living doing strictly lawn and tree care, is there anyone else trying to build a Organic only business focused on Turf and trees only like the Chem guys? in other words, no lawn maintenance, just fert and spraying etc.

2. dallen

dallen LawnSite Member

People resist change. It is coming, however. Read the beginniing on page 66 of the September issue of Forbes magazine, Organic Miracle Needed.

3. cedarcroft

NICE!!
    17 views and one reply. get fired up people....we are on the verge of major changes. The world is ready. we have to be ready to serve the need.

4. mrkosar

mrkosar LawnSite Senior Member
    from Ohio

i feel the same as you...very disappointed in the lack of conversation in this forum. i started up an organic based lawn care company this year with several different options for customers. one pure organic program and then a couple variations of programs with reduced chemicals. it is going to happen, but is still a while away. costs, impatient customers, uneducated or misinformed people, weeds, and several other obstacles lay ahead of us. one big problem i'm running into this year is people expect so much because they are paying more than they were last year. and to tell you the truth the lawns probably don't look as good because they are not that usual fake green that my customers are used to. it works though. i've seen research plots and other lawns that have been on organic fert programs for 3+ years and they look thick and green. convincing customers to wait and continue to spend more for results they might not see for 3 years is tough though. i would love for there to be more posts on this site, but every time i put one out there you get two or three responses and then the site goes dead for 4 days.

5. cedarcroft

Good for you Bernie!
    I think if we can sell it correctly, people will accept the time factor. There will always be people that don't care and just want GREEN perfect lawns regardless of what chemicals need to be put down. Over time an organically treated lawn will be much cheaper to maintain than a chemical lawn.
    I get a newsletter from EcoStructure financial and to summarize, he points out that until now environmental causes have been taken up by charities and non-profits. this has led to enough awareness of ecological issues that there have been societal changes. these societal changes have paved the way for "Green" companies to step into the marketplace and make a killing. whether it be clean energy or organic turf and tree care, people are aware and want to do the right thing.
    I am excited!!!
    GET FIRED UP:usflag:
    :blob2:

6. bdoss123

bdoss123 LawnSite Member

Although I'm not in the business of fert/squirt, I hope to be in the future. I live in an area that is big on organic foods and "grassroots" products (no pun intended). I also maintain several rental properties that I would love to get on a strictly organic program.
    But just like you guys, I haven't been overly impressed with the solutions that I've seen. Green guardian looked interesting to me, but I haven't been overly impressed by the reports from the forum, and have not had time to try it on my lawn(s).
    I would love to get a collection of info/results on organic (or natural) solutions in order to at least move in a proactive direction.

- BD

7. Keegan

Keegan LawnSite Senior Member
    from CT

I to cannot belive how dead it is here. I have an organic lawn care business for 3 years. Every year it seems to gain more interest in people. I do have a few very impatient customers. They don't want to hear that it takes longer to get results. Oh well

8. dcgreenspro

dcgreenspro LawnSite Senior Member
    from PA

i am dealing with the same problem. even when i explain that it takes a good two or three years of organic fert, seed and aerification to really get it going, they ask for other alternatives....

9. cedarcroft

BD-
    regardless of the products, the cultural practices are most important. water correctly, cut correctly, apply compost correctly and seed correctly and you are 80% of the way there. the products available are everywhere, figure out what is good for you. I am no expert, but I feel the most important thing is to get started in the right direction.

10. livingsoils

livingsoils LawnSite Member

I also own a organic lawn company and I have found that people are willing to pay more and be more patient as long as your explain what your are doing to their lawns. I believe customers not only want a green healthy lawn but they want some personal attention. Customers want to know what you are doing to their lawn and what you are putting on it. I have found that if you explain your program and talk to to them when you are on the lawn they will very happy. (sometimes they want to talk too much and you get nothing done, but I think that is part of being customer service oriented).

This board it is a little dead. I have found if you find a company that deals with organic stuff they will talk your ear off and they are a great source of info. Right Natty!:)
    Mike