Patio and Fireplace

Discussion in 'Hardscaping' started by LawnBoy89, Nov 18, 2007.

1. LawnBoy89

LawnBoy89 LawnSite Senior Member

What's up guys...I have a bunch of large patio blocks and some other bricks for walls, wondering how I should go about building a fireplace and a patio around the fireplace with the materials I have. They have been sitting behind my shed, I wouldn't mind a fireplace in the backyard and I think it would be good practice.

My main question is how I go about making the fireplace, I know it's not going to work out perfect I guess I will have to cut the last block in each layer, I have pictures of the materials I will be using (I know they need to be cleaned.)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

patio block...

[​IMG]

the last picture is bad they are the ones underneath im not too worried about those my main question is about the circle of the fireplace

2. SOUTHERNGREENSCAPES

SOUTHERNGREENSCAPES LawnSite Senior Member

Fireplace or Fire Pit??? If you are looking at a fireplace, you better check the internet for directions, b/c the calculations for building a fireplace that draws is a b!t$#.

3. mrusk

mrusk LawnSite Gold Member

I would not build anything with any of that material!!! The actually pavers are normally one of the cheapest aspects of the job, i see no point in saving a couple bucks using the ugliest stones home depot proably sold.

4. Captains Landscape

Captains Landscape LawnSite Senior Member

I agree with Rusk on this one, but here is something one of my guys built with some wall block and cap stone last minute. Not my favorite thing in the world, but I guess its better than just a hole in the ground.....

frepit.jpg

5. LawnBoy89

Yea you are right they are kinda ugly lol I just figured I would see what I could do with them since I have no other use..

captainslandscape...those cap stones that you have on the fireplace..how did you make them fit correctly? I guess I can't have specific dimensions I just have to lay them so the last block fits in?

Also, one more question, will any bricks work or do I need certain ones so they won't crack in the heat?

6. Captains Landscape

Captains Landscape LawnSite Senior Member

After we built that thing, I called Versa-Lok N.E.. They had no real idea how heat tolerable the wall blocks were. I just had him make the pit 6', so the fire could be contained in the middle. To cut the cap blocks just over lay or measure just like a curve wall. Those caps were all one size (versa-lok has 2 cap sizes)

7. ChampionLS

ChampionLS LawnSite Bronze Member

LOL C'mon your killin me.... :dizzy:

Basic math 101. Put a metal stake in the center. Tie a string to it (loop) and pull a radius outward from the center. Lay your caps in a circle and overlap the string to the edges...mark and cut. Simple!!

8. kootoomootoo

kootoomootoo LawnSite Platinum Member

Customer gave me a disk the other day with pics he took at night...here is a firepit one.

Sunburst Patio Night 1.jpg

9. LawnBoy89

Ok Ok I'm sorry I just don't want to mess it up, one more question then I'll stop embarrasing myself, do I lay the patio around the firepit after I install it or do I do the patio first? I figure I'd do the firepit then the patio...

10. mrusk

mrusk LawnSite Gold Member

Yes firepit, then patio.