1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community on the Franchising Forum.

Dismiss Notice

Patio example

Discussion in 'Hardscaping' started by bigviclbi, Mar 19, 2005.

1. bigviclbi

bigviclbi LawnSite Senior Member
    from nj

Ok lets see what kind of equipment checklist you have to do a patio that is 20x30 and raised 15 inches. What equipment,how many people, how long to complete?

2. treedoc1

treedoc1 LawnSite Senior Member

600 sf @ $24 = $14,400
    additional fill 30 tons stone dust @ $50 = $1,500
    walls for raised patio 100 lf @ $52.50 = $5,250
    debris disposal 12 tons @ $50 = $600

Total $21,750

Two weeks 4 man crew 320 man hours @ $20 loaded cost = $6400
    Material (most expensive = flag stone) 720 sf @ $3.75 = $2700
    Wall material (natural stone) 11 tons @ $100 = $1100
    Truck and skid steer loaded cost 2 weeks @ $500 = $1000

Total direct cost = $11,200

Our normal crew tool list is sufficient...worm drive 7" saws w/ diamond blades, gas 14" cutoff saw, 4000# plate compactor, hand tools. No lasers, we still use rebar, string, and string level, they are great for us.

3. zedosix

zedosix LawnSite Silver Member

600 sq.ft. of brick install, raised 15" wall, all sides....depending on site access, it would take 4 men 3 - 4 days maximum. One day to excavate, install base and set level, one day to build retaining wall 15" high x 100' long, one day to add granular, level and lay most of the brick. 1/2 day to do cutting, compacting, sanding etc. Site cleanup could be done before end of 4th day.

4. Bull_11

Bull_11 LawnSite Member

I know this is probably a basic question, but I'm just getting started and planning my first hardscaping project (at home) in the next few weeks. Treedoc1 mentioned about a string level...what exactly is this, where would I look for one, and about how much are they? Sounds like it could come in handy for my first project.

Thanks,
    Bull

5. mbella

mbella LawnSite Bronze Member

Most hardware stores have them. I refer to it as a line level. Cost=approx. $2.00. They are ok for small jobs. However, on larger jobs, say multiple level patios, a laser or a transit are much better.

6. Bull_11

Bull_11 LawnSite Member

OK, I was figuring it was a basic tool! Thanks for the info, mbella!

7. desertrat

desertrat LawnSite Member

I still use string and a line level, as well as the trusty water level. I do full landscapes and sub out much of the hardscape stuff, so spending a grand on a laser level is a little much right now. The truth is, although it is more difficult, a water level is the most accurate tool, and my workers have grown up using them so it works for me, and it cost $2.