Patio- Exposed Pea Gravel / Stamped Concrete

Discussion in 'Hardscaping' started by Smokey03, May 22, 2008.

1. Smokey03

Smokey03 LawnSite Member

This is two patios that were exposed pea gravel with a stamped concrete border with a natural stone step connecting the two. It turned out good and the customer loved it. We have already booked and additional two jobs in the same neighborhood.Let me know what you think.

IMG00145[1].jpg

IMG00143[1].jpg

2. John Zaprala

John Zaprala LawnSite Senior Member

I'm not a fan of stamped concrete and never will be b/c I live in PA where there is nothing but cracks in concrete. However, the work looks nice, but why skimp out on the transition? What is that flagstone with peagravel? A poured step would've made this job a little better. Again, nice work, maybe better design. My parent's have a 2,000 sq ft stamped pool deck... they've had to repour one section 2 times. The original job was $15,000 I believe. To fix that section was $6,000 b/c they had to take out one 300 sq ft sectionand they knew they were the only company in the area with the stamp to match!!! Talk about blackmail. This is an isolated incident, but in general stamped concrete has to be sealed, has to have ugly expansion joints (notice the nice huge X in the patio) and it still cracks eventually.