Patio for my house

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by promower, Mar 6, 2005.

1. promower

promower LawnSite Bronze Member

Were purchasing the house we rent now, this summer. I want to put a raised patio, or a patio with some steps coming off our sliding door. Theres siding that comes up so I would assume I would have to cut sections of the siding where the base and patio would meet the house. Is this right? Here a picture that kind of shows it.

Attached Files:

2. promower

Also heres a wall in the backyard that has large gaps between the rocks, mostly due to a ground hog problem, but that has been solved. The wall is still structuraly sound and I was thinking of planting flowers that to brighten up the wall. I saw one where there were all these purple and yellow flowers coming out of a rock wall much like this one but cant for the life of me remember what they were called. So any suggestions for some good colorful plants that would due well would be great. The area gets a good amount of sunlight during the day.

Attached Files:

• Wall.bmp
      File size:
      446.3 KB
      Views:
  3. Toy2

Toy2 LawnSite Bronze Member

You want the siding to rest on top of whatever you put down, this way water run off won't go into the house... :)

4. MarcusLndscp

MarcusLndscp LawnSite Senior Member

In my neck of the woods we leave at least 1/2" of space between what you're building and the siding. This will allow for movement of the patio/wall in the winter due to frost.
    Just my .02 cents

5. mbella

mbella LawnSite Bronze Member

Build steps and install the patio at ground level. This will avoid building walls and the issues with the siding. You will only have to address the siding behind the steps. Most of that is probably foundation and shouldn't be too much trouble to deal with.

6. zedosix

zedosix LawnSite Silver Member

I agree with mbella, build steps to a ground level patio. Saves any future problems with water and the inevitable rotting of the siding.

zed

7. jreiff

jreiff LawnSite Senior Member
    from MN

I would also say to build steps instead of raising the whole patio.

Looking at the first pictures- looks like you have a little water issue on the current patio. I would raise the future patio an inch or so that water is not running onto the patio. And also slope the patio away from the house.

1" of slope per 10'

Hope this helps alittle...

Good Luck

8. promower

Ok thanks, I'm just going to build a step and not mess around with raising it. I dont think a raised one would look right anyway cause its a half of a duplex and theres a privacy fence to right. Couple of sundays this summer and it should be done. I'll post some pics later this year.