Patio frost protection

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by site, Dec 20, 2001.

1. site

site LawnSite Member

I'm curious about what tricks folks use to prolong the patio building season. 10 years ago we had to quit in the middle of Nov. because of frost. Now, with global warming we still don't have much frost, but it is overdue. I'm starting a 250 square foot patio tomorrow. I know it's crazy but what else am I gonna do sit still? Christmas shop?
    Anyways, once the base is prepped I'm going to cover it at night with a thick layer of hay. In the past this has worked until the weather gets below 20 overnight. What else is there? And don't suggest renting a circus tent.

2. BRL

BRL LawnSite Bronze Member

They make insulated blankets for concrete work. Helps keep a pour warmer on cold days or nights, so that it can cure properly. They might be expensive, but I have no idea. This would be better than raking\cleaning up straw each time.

3. J. Palasek

J. Palasek LawnSite Member

How 'bout this:

Use a plastic tarp or two to cover the concrete and cover the tarp with a couple of yards of mulch.
    When the concrete is cured, the mulch goes into a nearby flower bed, the tarp gets folded up and you're done.

-JP

4. steveair

steveair LawnSite Bronze Member

hello,

they do make units for this sort of application, believed they are called heat pumps which are basically large portable furnaces that have hoses coming out of them.....you then run the hoses over the ground/area you want to keep from freezing......

To purchase, I'd imagine big $, very big money, and probably not worth the investment....

Maybe possible to rent one, but no idea where.

For a 250 sq ft patio, I honestly don't see all this work being worth it anyway.......should be done in about 2 days.....maybe even one long one if you are on the ball.......so if you are spending half a day putting hay down, taking hay off, can't see the use of doing a job like this....

I would say hang it up for the winter!

On top of the ground being frozen, your going to have to contend with frozen materials also.......QP, stone dust, etc. Materials will be frozen at the suppliers and then will freeze at the site.....unless you have a heated place to keep a truck stored with the materials in the back.

Start adding all this 'lost time' up, and you will find that you aren't going to make any money at all...........especially on such a small project. Also, the chances of something not compacting right and installation not going right will lead to a high chance of a return visit to repair a few spots in the spring.......which will eat away at the profit even more.

steve

5. paul

paul Lawnsite Addict

Heat pumps work great but Tent is better:)
    think about it would you rather work in the warmth of a tent (you can heat it )or out in the cold, cost for each is close.

Yes they make blankets not too expensive can be reused or even rented, great to keep frost out for a few days but not for over a week or more, they use them on concrete but remember it makes it's own heat , most times the excavate, form, cover, remove and pour then cover again for a couple of days.

6. Foz

Foz LawnSite Member

Depends on how cold it will get over the first few days after the pour. JP's suggestion is good if weather is around freezing. If temp is going to get down into 20's i would build 6 or 8mil poly cover with 2" bys and secure poly to wood frame & then use a salamander (kerosene/torpedo heater) if less than low 20's wait until spring