1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Patio/Paverstone Questions

Discussion in 'Hardscaping' started by C Cutters, Apr 25, 2007.

1. C Cutters

C Cutters LawnSite Member

Sorry guys, I don't do hardscape installations with clients and I have a few questions I was hoping you could help me with (this project is for my personal residence.)
    I am installing two patios in my backyard, first one is 11x21, second one is 8x8. I am just about ready to lay the base layer (1" crushed limestone), and have a few questions. The first patio is bordered half with a mortared rock retaining wall and half by nothing (will just have a small bed here.) The second patio is not bordered by anything at all. So, when laying the base layer, do I need to support is with something (say lay down like a frame of 2x4's) or do I simply lay it where I need it and then compact it. I would imagine it needs to be framed somehow.
    Secondly, this is just for reassurance, I am laying down 4" of crushed limestone and then 1" coarse sand, then the pavers. Sound right?
    Also, how much does the 1" limestone compact? Looking for a 4" compacted layer, how much needs to be layed on before compaction?
    Thanks alot guys!
  2. forestfireguy

forestfireguy LawnSite Senior Member
    from nj

I'd go for 6 inches of compacted base. You do not need any kind of frame to support the edges as long as you oversize the base by at least 6 inches all around. You will need to use edge restraint of some kind, by this I mean a product made for this purpose and it won't be seen after completion. When you finish setting the pavers and have sanded the joints simply rake soil or mulch over the compacted base that is exposed.
  3. amscapes03

amscapes03 LawnSite Senior Member

If you oversize the base by 6" you have approx. 345 sf. With a 6" compacted base (minimum) you'll need approx. 7 yards or 10 tons of 3/4" crush stone. Dido to what forestfireguy said.....
  4. Plant Buyer 83

Plant Buyer 83 LawnSite Member

I agree with everything forest guy said, I would not use anything less than 6" base. And no you dont need to do any framing like forest said just lay the pavers then buy an edging product I like plastic over other material something like this is what I normally use http://www.pavetech.com/paveedge/edge.shtm, then like said earlier just backfill with topsoil to cover anything that is exposed. A big misconception is leveling with sand... all your leveling should be done with your base material, if your base is at the right slope and level, then just put down your sand down at 1", screed, and lay pavers. Dont worry if they are not totally flush (within reason), the compactor will take care of that. And good luck to you.