Patio pitch

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by CHC, Jul 17, 2001.

1. CHC

CHC LawnSite Member

I realize that this is a pretty basic question, but is there an efficient method to setting a patio base pitch. Doesn't matter if it 1 in/10ft, or 1.5 in/10 ft. How do you experts quickly & economically set the base to the right pitch. any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
  2. paul

paul Lawnsite Addict

We set a stake at the level we want using the laser.
  3. diginahole

diginahole LawnSite Member

ditto here,
    stakes and strings.
  4. Stonehenge

Stonehenge LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Midwest

For residential patios, ditto digin.
  5. steveair

steveair LawnSite Bronze Member

Same here,

use a laser to set stakes at right level, then use pipes to 'fine' tune the grade (eliminate any highs and lows). Also, usually give it a good 'eye' just to make sure it looks right.

As for pitch, I still shoot for a 1 inch drop every 4 foot. However, sometimes you need to work with what is there and can't have that, also, sometimes it looks funny for some sites. Just be sure to have it pitch away from the house.

6. neighborguy

neighborguy LawnSite Member

we use a combination of a transit and the string lines. Just out of curiosity; if someone asked you what is the standard pitch that you put on a patio or walk, what do you use? We use a minimum of 1" in 8'. I do realize that we have to match to existing site conditions, but if you were the first one on site, with no final grade set, what would you do? Thanks.
  7. guntruck

guntruck LawnSite Senior Member

Because some patios are just round designs do you still use the strings and stakes for everything? How might you do that just make a square bigger than the round patio and make the base a little bigger and square then set the pavers? Thnaks
  8. Stonehenge

Stonehenge LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Midwest

Guntruck, I'm not sure I understand your question.

Everywhere there is brick, there should be a stone base under it. Does that answer the Q?