Patio/Pond/Plantings

Discussion in 'Hardscaping' started by cgland, Feb 10, 2007.

1. cgland

cgland LawnSite Bronze Member

Here is a recent backyard project we did. Whaddya think?

Chris

patioa.jpg

Patiob.jpg

Patioc.jpg

Patiod.jpg

Patioe.jpg

2. cgland

Some more

Chris

Patiof.jpg

Patiog.jpg

3. mrusk

mrusk LawnSite Gold Member

I love the techo antika. I did a job with that. With that, i found you need to pitch the base alittle more then normal. Since the joints are so big the watter doesn't 'flow' off the pavers as well.

The pergola looks good. Is it just for looks or will the people sit under it for shade?

Pond looks sharp. There just not my thing. I've seen to many ponds that after a year look horrible because the people don't maintain them correctly.

Overall the workmanship is great, but we all expect that from you.

Matt

4. cgland

You're right Matt. That 8' area has a 2" pitch for runoff. We used the large gap poly sand in there so it helps. I love the look of the Antika, but it sure is a PITA to lay (and have it look good). The pergola shades the sliders from the hot afternoon sun. The pond has mad filtration, so hopefully it will be OK. I gave them some pretty detailed instructions on pond care.

Thanks.

Chris

5. jreiff

jreiff LawnSite Senior Member
    from MN

Looks great. I really the pergola and the grill set up.

Did you build the pergola? We are getting more and more peole asking for them, going to start offering them this year.

Good work...

6. bigviclbi

bigviclbi LawnSite Senior Member
    from nj

I love the pergola but don't think it ties into the house, would have gone with white vinyl or wood painted white. Looks great, i've never seen that paver product before looks really cool. How does installation time run compared to regular pavers?

7. DVS Hardscaper

DVS Hardscaper LawnSite Fanatic

Hard to tell from the angle of the picture taking, but I'm curious as to why the evergreen my the right rear corner of the dwelling is planted so close to the corner. I'm hoping it's a fake tree and won't be growing!

8. paponte

paponte LawnSite Silver Member

Everything looks great! I would ask the same question though, looks like a weeping norway spruce in the corner. Looks awefully close to the fence, could just be the angle though. Great Job! :)

9. BTLS

BTLS LawnSite Member
    from Texas

i think it looks fantastic. i wish I could do stuff like that!

10. cgland

The pergola is cedar and yes, we built it. They wanted wood so that it can be stained to match the fence. The pavers in the middle are Techo-Bloc Antika. They look great, but it probably takes 2-3 times longer to lay that type of paver. (more like a puzzle than anything) Andrew - The tree at the corner is a Serbian Spruce and is planted about 7-8' from the house. (hard to tell from the pics). Serbians are a very "weepy" type tree that don't typically get real wide. I would say it's probably borderline with regards to proximity. The homeowners are green thumb people, so they will most likely be pruning it on occasion. By the way Andrew, That comment was all you have to say? Interesting!

Chris