Patio Pricing?

Discussion in 'Hardscaping' started by acarter92, Apr 4, 2012.

1. acarter92

acarter92 LawnSite Member

Well, I'm not marking up materials, just making a little because I get a discount. The customers aren't paying any more than if they went and bought it themselves.

I'm going to use a electric hammer to break the slab, for a few reasons. I own it (dont' have to pay rentals, or pick up and drop off). Where I'm dumping my concrete (for free) they like it in small pieces, so they can easily use it for fill, I try to keep them under 2' diameter, that would be way to much cutting. Yes it will take longer than a breaker, but I think in my situation it will be the better option.

Austin

2. DVS Hardscaper

DVS Hardscaper LawnSite Fanatic

no need to explain yourself.

Some people successfully hunt deer from the ground.

Some people successfully hunt deer from a tree stand.

If you are selling something for more than you pay - it's marked up. Many contractors mark up materials.

I'm just saying I do not. Trying to give you something to think about, another prospective.

3. crazymike

crazymike LawnSite Senior Member
    from Ontario

Just curious why you do not markup materials?

I'm not saying you need to markup 200%, but what about your overhead with sourcing materials, Ordering materials, paying materials, etc...

There is a good chapter in one of the vanderkooi books on this.

To each his own, just curious about your reasoning.

4. nepatsfan

nepatsfan LawnSite Gold Member

Interesting, but what is a prospective?

5. DVS Hardscaper

The guy is asking about if his pricing is in line.

He initiated mention of mark up.

I responded, sharing my way.
    Posted via Mobile Device

6. DVS Hardscaper

For faster complete details - run a search on this subject on my user name, you'll find a whole book on the subject.

I'd pull the link for you but I'm on a jobsite

7. ryhenry09

ryhenry09 LawnSite Member
    from NY

You ALWAYS mark up materials. Doesnt matter if they are non-living or not. I assume you are paying wholesale pricing. Why should they get materials at wholesale price?

8. GreenI.A.

GreenI.A. LawnSite Silver Member

Depends how you write up the proposals. If you provide one all inclusive price which includes labor and materials then the markup for sourcing, ordering and picking up materials is figured in your labor.

for example you could have a job with 10k in materials, some buys may mark i up 20%, plus charge 8k for labor = 20k total.
    or you could charge the 10k for materials and 10k for labor = 20k

on installs for the most part we do not markup. We do markup materials on service work, it is not a set percentage but a dollar figure depending on the item. We do mark up for some contractors who require we provide an invoice itemizing materials and labor.

9. MJK

MJK LawnSite Senior Member

I mark up materials 20%, after our 6% sales tax.

To give you a benchmark for your project with a 4ft wide walk in my area you would be around $7,400 and that is with full skidsteer access.

Gonna have a lot of disposal though. I would think around 30 yards.

10. nepatsfan

nepatsfan LawnSite Gold Member

Around here we call that a perspective. Maybe it's different in MD....I don't know.