Patio pricing

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by JasonPC, Jan 30, 2001.

1. JasonPC

JasonPC LawnSite Member

Hi, everyone. I've started to incorporate doing patios and retaining walls into my business. I have a couple of questions for those of you that already offer these services: what is the standard industry pricing for a landscaper to a patio? I've heard per square foot, but I'm not sure how much? Any suggestions or ideas?

Also, does anyone know any great books or videos that are instructional for landscapers/masons on patios and retaining walls?

Thanks in advance for any help you can give me!

Jason

2. Stonehenge

Stonehenge LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Midwest

Hello Jason -

You'll find a lot of great information about installation here, but you should also check your local distributors. They probably have seminars going on over the next couple months to teach you a good deal. I can't think of any books or videos on these topics that I like. Hands-on experimenting helps, too.

As for pricing, that can really vary. A lot. It depends on the market you're in, the size of the project, the materials you're using, the detail work involved, your desired profit margin, your position in the market, and on, and on. We'll do projects for as little as $6/sqft, and as much as $17/sqft.

One thing you WILL get differing opinions on is how to present the price - many price per square foot. I price per project. Pros and cons to each.

3. BRL

BRL LawnSite Bronze Member

Ditto Stonehenge
    There are lots of seminars going on during the winter at the local distributors. While there check if they have printed installation guides, mine do. Any hardware store (definitely the Home Cheapo types) have books on installation. Here's a web site with install guides. http://www.pavetech.com/guides/instguid.shtm

As far as pricing, Stonehenge is correct on that also. Way too many variables to say a set price. The only thing I will say is if the customer wants to see the price by the square foot, that's what I'll give them. If they're OK with a total project price, that's what I give them. I'm flexible for the customer & the total price is the same to me, no matter how you look at it.

4. paul

paul Lawnsite Addict

5. Stonehenge

Stonehenge LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Midwest

BTW, did you guys see the newest brick line from Unilock?

It's called Stonehenge.

6. BRL

BRL LawnSite Bronze Member

I hope your royalty checks are bountiful! ;)

Here's another site. These guys are putting on a big seminar in a couple of weeks in NJ. Might be a long haul from MA, but it looks like it might be worth the trip also. Contact them to get the brochure with all of the classes they are offering.
    http://www.ephenry.com/

7. VRL

VRL LawnSite Member