Patio relay

Discussion in 'Hardscaping' started by MassSteelerfan, Apr 13, 2008.

1. MassSteelerfan

MassSteelerfan LawnSite Member
    from Mass

I have a customer that installed there own patio. It has depressions due to bad base, throughout patio. Asked me to redo and priced at same as new install due to having to basically start from scratch. Iam i wrong for charging same as new install or not?? opinions welcome

2. PSUturf

PSUturf LawnSite Senior Member

It should be the price of a new install minus the cost of the pavers. Chances are that they used the wrong base material or it is very thin. If you have to get rid of their base material charge for your time and disposal costs. This will probably get you up to the cost for a new install or more.

3. flairland

flairland LawnSite Senior Member

You're gonna need to charge more than what you'd charge just to install the patio because you need to remove all the pavers, probably clean them, stack them, dig out his mess, and then you can actually begin where you would usually start. I'd probably charge about 1.5 times your regular labour cost to build a patio.

4. BOEpavers

BOEpavers LawnSite Member

I would agree that you should charge more due to the removal costs mentioned previously. Also, be aware that depending on pattern, previous cuts, etc. you may actually require additonal pavers to complete the job and the cost/availability of those have to be considered. When we do this it is always more than what we would have charged to lay new (leaving the cost of the pavers out of the equation).

5. zedosix

zedosix LawnSite Silver Member

Do a test dig first, its the only way because you will be second guessing yourself. If your base is sufficient then I would charge at regular price minus price of pavers. Most customers will tell you that they dug one foot and compacted every 3" or so, I've seen it so many times it ain't funny. You must check the base first. Your pricing method is fair. But underpriced if you need to re-do the base.

6. csl

csl LawnSite Member

i think we have addressed this a thousand times, and i deal with this when we do home shows. homeowners think its easy to landscape, they watch some DIY program and try it themselves. this is what i tell homeowners that want to install (or have a buddy do it), i tell this to homeowners ever year, especially with irrigation. by the time you buy the materials, probably seconds, install it incorrectly, then choose to call me back, its probably gonna be double the original price. i've got to undo your work, do it correctly, and replace a bunch of junk product. if you have time to do it twice, you have time to do it right.