Patio renovation with waterfall pics!

Discussion in 'Hardscaping' started by agr682, Jul 23, 2007.

1. agr682

agr682 LawnSite Member

Here are a few pictures of a patio renovation project I completed over the winter. the first picture is obviously before. We have since added some more perennials to her landscape to fill in some bare areas. what do you think?

before2.jpg

batey patio 2.jpg

batey waterfall.jpg

2. tthomass

tthomass LawnSite Gold Member
    from N. VA

I would do the plant material X 20.

Just to be honest, not a fan of the water feature for two reasons.
    1) Its not 'natural' looking at all, I'm not a fan of stacking flat stone and running water over it.
    2) Its a mountain of stone in the middle of the flat yard.

Don't take it wrong, constructive critizism.

I suggest: Put some evergreens around the water feature to soften it.

3. Frontier-Lawn

Frontier-Lawn LawnSite Silver Member

i like it overall but with more plants and in place of the rock water fall i would do a bubbling pot feature

4. ChampionLS

ChampionLS LawnSite Bronze Member

I agree, there are countless hours of experience needed to build a natural looking waterfall. That yard has plenty of room to build a nice sized pond or water feature.

5. agr682

agr682 LawnSite Member

thanks for the criticisim, but she already had a pond and wanted a waterfall. I was just satisfying a customer with a limited budget. She really didn't care if it looked natural or not. she mainly wanted it for the sound to drown out all of the new construction around her.

6. Waterscapes By Design

Waterscapes By Design LawnSite Member

Man, I dont care what the other people say here, the actual face of that waterfall looks really good and the flow looks good. The only thing a little bit off in that is the sides of the fall where you are trying to contain it....But the face of the fall itself is pretty damn good....

7. Waterscapes By Design

Waterscapes By Design LawnSite Member

.........definately need to place some taller plants around the sides and back of that to at least counter the stack of rocks, make it kind of look like its comeing out from somewhere or somethin

8. ChampionLS

Heres my first pond- still in operation since 1995. Its been upgraded twice, using the Aquascapes Ecosystem. My Koi are 18" long now.

It's amazing how in March- everything is bare, and come summer, it's fully grown.

Fountainf2.jpg

Fountainf3.jpg

Our_pond9-01a.jpg

9. agr682

agr682 LawnSite Member

your feature looks really good. There are some big ornamental grasser behin the fall, they were really young when i planted them. she wanted to add in some perrinnials herself later on. It looks nice now, not so out of place. This was my first patio and waterfall as well. It was for a good friends mother, I do not call mysef a aquascaper at all. I may look at it later, but now I am just mowing, maint and design. I thouhgt about taking some classes on building outdoor kitchens/ fireplaces. what do you think?

10. ChampionLS

Go buy a few books from Greg Wittstock.. the "Pond Guy". I think he's mastered the pond building industry.