patio with fire pit size question

Discussion in 'Hardscaping' started by vaacutabove, Mar 8, 2014.

1. vaacutabove

vaacutabove LawnSite Bronze Member

Looking at adding a patio with a fire pit (wood). It will be about 75 feet from my house before anyone brings that up. I am thinking a radius of 12 ft with a seating wall on the far side (will start at 12 ft). I have Painted it all out and I think its big enough was going to do 10 but think thats to small. any insight?

2. jbailey52

jbailey52 LawnSite Bronze Member

I'm more interested in what a wood firepit is.....
    Posted via Mobile Device

3. DVS Hardscaper

DVS Hardscaper LawnSite Fanatic

you know how when people initially call for an estimate and they describe their entire backyard on the phone, and you're like "ah huh, ok, ah huh, ok, sure, yep, ah huh" and you have NO clue what they're describing? Well, that's along the lines of what's going through my mind right now!

Any chance you can scan your plan drawing and post it? That would help visualize.

4. vaacutabove

Wood burning not propane. Normal fire ring. I will try and get them to upload me and pictures on this site don't go well. Bottom line is a circular patio with a radius of 12 ft.Total with of the circle 22 ft. Enough room. To get around.
    Posted via Mobile Device

5. Glenn Lawn Care

Glenn Lawn Care LawnSite Silver Member

Sounds pretty self explanatory, he want a a fire pit and a12' circle pack.
    Posted via Mobile Device

6. FLCthes4:11-12

FLCthes4:11-12 LawnSite Senior Member

I've never had a customer say I wish we would have went smaller
    Posted via Mobile Device

7. zedosix

zedosix LawnSite Silver Member

12' radius seems to be quite large, if you put a seat wall on one side that puts you about 12 or so from the centre of the fire. How large diameter are you thinking of making the fire pit?

Unless I don't read you right, but a 12' radius makes a 24' circle.

8. DVS Hardscaper

DVS Hardscaper LawnSite Fanatic

That was my thoughts as well. Which is why I said "just let me see a drawing". Pictures are worth a thousand words.

9. vaacutabove

10. zedosix

zedosix LawnSite Silver Member

That would be a 6' radius, anything smaller is too small especially with that oversized seat wall in the back.