Patio

Discussion in 'Hardscaping' started by iowa, Aug 10, 2005.

1. iowa

iowa LawnSite Senior Member
    from NW IA

Finished this up about two weeks ago....

BEFORE

vantol (2).JPG

2. iowa

from NW IA

DURING

While we were digging the area out with the skid loader, I kept hitting what I thought was a tree root....turned out to be a bath tub. The shed used to be a dog kennel and he used it for bathing the dogs with??? There were also silo staves all across the ground with 2" of dirt on top. What a mess!

van tol.JPG

3. iowa

from NW IA

AFTER

Has anyone used the polymeric joint sand? I used it for the first time on this job and liked the results.

vantol3 (1).JPG

4. Drafto

Drafto LawnSite Senior Member

Looks good. I am just curious but is your edging nailed on top of the sand? It looks like you put the sand down then the edging on top of it?

Dan

5. iowa

from NW IA

Yeah its nailed on top of the sand. I use really long nails to make sure I get to the base layer. It works for me.

6. cgland

cgland LawnSite Bronze Member

It may work for you, but it is not the proper way to do it.

Chris

7. rakeeye

rakeeye LawnSite Member

Your edge restraint should be installed on top of your base material. If the restraint is installed on top of your sand setting bed, the sand may migrate over time allowing space for your restraint to move. Removing the sand also drops the top edge of the restraint below the surface of the pavers for a better looking finished product.

8. iowa

from NW IA

Yeah but look at it. It's a 2" edger and the pavers are 3". IT WORKS for me.

9. mbella

mbella LawnSite Bronze Member

What do you mean it works for you? It's not the right way to do it. The edge restraint would be much more stable on the base aggregate. Do you want any constructive criticisim? If not, why did you post the pics.

10. iowa

from NW IA

I'm talking 8" nails. 6" of that is in the base aggregate. Your telling me that isn't stable?