Discussion in 'Hardscaping' started by Lawnworks, Oct 21, 2007.

1. Lawnworks

Lawnworks LawnSite Fanatic
    from usa

I want to do a patio in my backyard this winter to get some experience and because I want one. I want to do a knee high wall w/ some columns. What type paver/block combo would you reccomend to go against the brick? Any design suggestions? I have included a pic of where I want it to go... excuse all my crap in the pic.

2. YardPro

YardPro LawnSite Gold Member

wow, looks like a great blank canvas...
    where are you located?
    the reason i ask is that i would get advise from contractors that get products from the same plant that you will. Quality of the material will vary greatly from plant to plant.
  3. Lawnworks

Lawnworks LawnSite Fanatic
    from usa

Located in GA. What colors are you thinking grey or tan? I think I can only get Belguard, sims stone, and allen block where I am at.
  4. gratis landscape

gratis landscape LawnSite Member

Regardless of what is convenient in your area, it will be a mistake to use tan anything for that area. Key in to the gray roof and red brick on the house. Think gray.
  5. tthomass

tthomass LawnSite Gold Member
    from N. VA

Pay an architect or designer to put something together for you and eliminate the guess work. Install it yourself if you wish or phase parts by someone else.
  6. AWJ Services

AWJ Services LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Ga

Pavestone,Belgard,Allen and Sims are the main ones in the Metro Area.

There are many freelance designers here in Atlanta.

One problem I have with pavers and walls aginst the dark bricks is there always seems too be a steep color contrast.

I use Lots of Belgard.
  7. Team-Green L&L

Team-Green L&L LawnSite Bronze Member

I will say that Pavestone will treat you better in pricing, but their quality has been a little sketchy lately. Broken blocks/pavers (per skid) have been in abundance in my area.

Belguard has a very nice product at around 15% higher in pricing. I would recommend Belguard for your first application because they have been good in consistent sizes. This makes it a lot easier to keep a straight line while you are getting used to string-lining every 5 ft. (Easy to forget when you're moving along).

I am unfamiliar with Sims, so I cannot compare this product.
  8. AWJ Services

AWJ Services LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Ga

Belgard is a touch higher here.
    I use Sims stone for my budget projects instead of Pavestone.
    Belgard seems too be a little classier looking stone in my opinion.

Their scheffield beige looks awesome with everything but dark red brick.
    If you can space it away far enough too include plants too break the colors up it helps alot.