1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Patterns Around Trees

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by cclc1021, Jul 24, 2005.

1. cclc1021

cclc1021 LawnSite Member

Hello. Looking for advice on how to go around trees without messing up existing patterns. Thanks for any suggestions.

2. SodKing

SodKing LawnSite Bronze Member

Generally I bring a 30 ton crane and have them lift the mower over the tree and place it back on the lawn on the other side of the tree from where they lifted it.....

If this is a real question you need to find a new profession.
  3. cclc1021

cclc1021 LawnSite Member

This is a real question! I'm sorry if my question offended you, however, I thought that this was the appropriate forum for this type of question. It is people like you that are classless!!!
  4. DLS1

DLS1 LawnSite Bronze Member

Hold off their 1021 with 11 posts. Old timers/posters have helped a lot of people and throw in a funny every so often. Nothing wrong with that.
  5. Steppenwolf

Steppenwolf LawnSite Senior Member

6. DaveRave07

DaveRave07 LawnSite Member
    from NY

Really not that bad of a question - don't let one of the many unhelpful people on here bother you.

A tip that I would pass on to you is to not worry about getting the grass too close to the base of a tree then when you are making your first stripe that would pass the base make a few circles around the trunk getting the grass you ignored and when you circle around rejoin your previous stripe. This leaves a very professional look and is easy. Anything left over you should get with a trimmer. Just remember if there is mulch under the tree to circle it so you arent throwing grass onto the mulch. Good luck.
  7. SodKing

SodKing LawnSite Bronze Member

...and with 44 posts and a Rock star logo, you have helped a lot of people. Generally 99% of my posts are helpful as I am concerned with improving this industry. But when I see a post from a 30 year old asking how to go around a tree, I have to ask if they should really be starting in business at all. Perhaps they should work for someone before starting out in this business.
  8. LawnProfits

LawnProfits LawnSite Member

Well, atleast he IS in the Newbie section.
  9. Tvov

Tvov LawnSite Bronze Member
    from CT

The link Steppenwolf posted shows how to do it. Careful not to do full circles around trees too much, as in time the circles can become very obvious.
  10. Steppenwolf

Steppenwolf LawnSite Senior Member

Thank You Tvov..that should put an end to this thread. It was a good question if you are new to mowing and want to do a quality job and have that eye for the little details.