patterns

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by GroundUp, Jan 16, 2006.

1. GroundUp

GroundUp LawnSite Member

How do i go about mowing a very visible pattern in a lawn. Also. are cheap push aerators any good? or a waste of time.

2. out4now

out4now LawnSite Bronze Member
    from AZ

There are books of pattern designs on the web. It is called a striping effect and is caused by laying the grass in one direction or another IE alteranting light and dark lines. By push aerators what type do you mean? the Handtool things or mechanized like a Ryan or Bluebird?

3. Dixie Rob

Dixie Rob LawnSite Member

Check out http://www.elmlawnsite.com/ ... It has a lot of info for newbs on striping.

Caution: This is a Dixie Chopper bias page. I only mention it because it helped me figure out a couple of neat basic patterns.

4. tiedeman

tiedeman LawnSite Fanatic
    from earth

GroundUp,
    I am happy to see that you are asking a lot of question in your last couple of posts. Good to see that someone is actually asking questions and trying to learn about it

5. GroundUp

GroundUp LawnSite Member

Ok cool. Thanks, your replies have been appriciated and helped a great deal

:waving: :waving: :waving: :waving: :waving: :waving: :waving: :waving:

6. daveintoledo

daveintoledo LawnSite Silver Member

7. GroundUp

GroundUp LawnSite Member

Striping effect is cool. I will definetly have to do this. Can someone tell me, is this very time consuming? or does it take just about the same amount of time. once you get the hang of it?

8. daveintoledo

daveintoledo LawnSite Silver Member

looking at the instructions i posted for you, you will see that it does take more time, is it worth it, some people love it, some people could care less....

9. out4now

out4now LawnSite Bronze Member
    from AZ

Yes takes more time but like dave said well worth it to impress customer. Makes an impression on others that see the effect too so it also advertises.

10. justinslawncare

justinslawncare LawnSite Member

i like the scag website myself. one thing u should ask ur customers is if they want it stripped. it is a little more time consuming cuz u have to worry about straight lines and stuff. it does make yards look better.