Paumco Products Quick Spade

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by Don Woods, Mar 19, 2008.

1. Don Woods

Don Woods LawnSite Member

2. Bigred350

Bigred350 LawnSite Senior Member

Looks sorta useless to me. And if you used it on your bucket it looks like it would bend the bucket pretty easily.:hammerhead:

3. cpaum

cpaum LawnSite Member

Bigred350

I know alot about this product and have used it a ton. The combo goes onto your bucket or forks. You were saying that if someone used it on your bucket it would bend it. That is not true. Honestly. There is a chain binder that holds the unit onto your bucket. It also works has a stiffner for the bucket. You would have to snap the 3/8 chain before it could ever bend your bucket.

Also when you have this unit on your forks. You can dig so fast it is amazing. I took a T300 with a standard bucket in clay and racer a s185 that had a standard bucket with a combo on it. The first one to dig a 10' x 10' x 24 inches deep wins. That's a harder hole to dig then you think. Well the s185 with the combo on it smoked the t300. it wasn't even close. The reason is with the combo you can dig stright down into the soil. With a 5 foot bucket. There is no way you can do that. Once you have some of it dug out with the quick spade combo. You can still use the bucket to scoop up all the dirt.

before you say it is useless. You need to give it a try. I know you won't want to get ride of it. The same way i did. I said there is no way. Well guess what. It's like I can't leave the house with out it.

4. JNyz

JNyz LawnSite Bronze Member

Looks like a nice attachment.

5. cpaum

cpaum LawnSite Member

Hello JNyz

Thanks for the reply. I had the same feeling when I first used it. But I really didn't know what it could do. After I used it a bunch. Like I said before. You can't live without it. Here in Minnesota. Landscaping is going to be slow for us. I saw it coming last year so I started looking for products that cut our labor cost so I could makesure I had the best chance I could this year to weather the bidding wars. Well the the Quick spade. It has cut my lavor cost in almost half. Honestly. I don't have to have a kid standing around all day with a shovel anymore. I just use the quick spade to do the shoveling now. I also know it is going to save huge on my back. Building rock walls. I can dig the wall with the spade and set the rocks without hurting my forks. Forks alone says me $600.00 a year. Another savings is I don't have to bring a whole another attachment with to the job site. We all know trailer space is a factor.

Check it out. It's well worth the money! You will save the cost in hours.

6. cpaum

cpaum LawnSite Member

JNyz

What type of skid do you have?? I'm looking at picking up a new one this year. Not sure which way i should go. Thought i would ask you to see what you thought. I really want to be able to see out easy. So I looked at the ASV. The problem with the ASV is that they are so long. Building walls or planting trees with the quick spade. It gets hard to if in small areas. I have a walk behind that I could use the quick spade on. But it's nice to only have the one unit.

What do you think??

7. JNyz

Right now we are using a S205. I split it with a buddy who owns a rental company. I get it Mon.- Wed. He gets it Thurs-Sun. and he does the maintenance. We have been selling them every three years. It works for me but I don't get to shows or dealers to see what else is out there so I would look for other opinions. Remember charge for that shovel like you would additional labor.

8. cpaum

cpaum LawnSite Member

O I'm charging for the shovel. It is just so handy and so fast it really cuts a lot out. No I won't work for free to go broke. But I know when you have something on everyone else. You can weather storms. The quick spade has really saved me alot.

I'm going to look at a Cat, ASV and Bobcat. I like tires but tracks come in handy sometimes.

Chad

9. JNyz

Dealer support is important.

10. jworman

jworman LawnSite Member

I've been looking at this product. I can see where it could be very handy, but I'm afraid my little Rounder L600 loader might be too small to operate a shovel of this size. My loader has a 18 hp engine and the bucket is rated to lift 600 lbs. Our soil in Southern New Mexico is dry, hard, clay. If I'm planning to dig by hand, I usually go out the day before and wet the area down with a water hose.

With your experience, would you think I have enough machine? Do you think I would have any luck digging holes and ditches in soil that is first cousin to concrete when its dry (and so far this year, it has been very dry!)?

Thank you,

John