Pave Tech .Probst video

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by kris, Dec 1, 2001.

1. kris

kris LawnSite Bronze Member
    from nowhere

Just finished watching "Tools of the Trade" version 2.

Does anyone have hands on experience with any or all of the following: Quick Draw ( Paul I believe you told me about this first)
    Wall Splitter
    Paver cart
    Band cutter
    Screeds 8' or 5'
    knee pad ...can't remember the name of it...funky looking thing that you strap on and it's almost like your sitting on it as well as protecting your knee? ..hope someone knows what I mean.

any feedback would be great.

2. Stonehenge

Stonehenge LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Midwest

We've got a splitter, not from Pavetech/Probst. Works fine. Horsing 80# block into it is not the easiest, however.

Paver cart - I tried one 10+ years ago and was never very impressed. It can only be used on pavers with flat edges (circular styles like Fendt Carousel, even rectangles will burst out of it before you can even load them (not really the fault of the machine, it's just the physics of it).

It can carry one band, but for the most part, if the project is of any size, we just move pallets right to where they're needed, so there's no need for that tool (ah, as I write this, I think I recall Paul and I debating this many moons ago).

Though we did buy the Saw Cart and like that a lot.

Band cutter - naw, just use some snips.

One cool tool they make that I bought last spring and loved - Paver Extractor.

No knee pads, no screeds. But I don't use sand in my superior installations, so the screed system they have wouldn't work.;)

3. SCL

SCL LawnSite Senior Member

Paver cart is out of control expensive. look into brick carriers/ tongs. They work great.
    Seen those knee seats. I wouldn't mind trying but once again pretty expensive.
    Tin snips for cutters.
    Splitter is the same as Jeff's, I think its a Brickstop/Monolit

4. Stonehenge

from Midwest

Shoot, SCL. Now I feel a bit guilty for getting that splitter at Midam. Hopefully you didn't have to pay full price.

5. SCL

Nah Jeff, they charged me an extra $200 they said to make up for giving one away to some crazy from Wisconsin:) Still paid for itself in half blocks. As far as the paver scribes and markers I haven't used them but its another thing that I'd like to hear more about.

6. steveair

steveair LawnSite Bronze Member

hello,

my experiences are this.

Paver cart---thought it was handy before i bought my dingo. Really a pain in the but to be quite honest. Now, I take a piece of plywood or an old pallet, and put it on the forks of my dingo. Then, I can easily just flop a band over onto the forks, take it to where I have to go, and even stand it upright again. If you have a machine with a bucket, then the cart is really useless.

Quick draw----Not sure why I bought it now. I never lay paver edging first anymore, so it doesn't work for that intended purpose. If you use the wheel side along Belgium block, it works ok, but the line is real squiggly. Your just as well off using a brick as your guide, mark a few spots, and use a flexible piece of hose to make the cut-mark.

Wall splitter- never used one yet, but if I get a job with alot of end units needed to be broken, I may invest in one. For now, I'll use the hammer and chisel for making rough-finished ends and cut-off saw for any other cuts.

Band cutters....why the hell even bother...a good pair of snips works fine for me...can't imagine the 'sure to be over price' specialized cutters to work any better.

just my feelings on some of the products. I have to say one thing though, after watching that video, you do get the feeling that you 'have too' own all of those neat tools. Just think a lot of them are more 'neat ideas' than anything else.

steve

7. SCL

One thing I saw on this video that looked interesting was the boulder grabber. Anybody got one of these or has anyone made their own? Looks fairly simple but I think they want like $2500, ouch.

8. Stonehenge

from Midwest

I think I remember a thread about this - but one of the posters also included a line drawing of a chain mechanism to do the same thing. I don't recall that anyone had purchased the Probst product.

Get that vac system for pavers to move those boulders and they'd have a sale!! :)

9. paul

paul Lawnsite Addict

Tools :)

Splitter I like the Probst 24" model, two reasons first being low to the ground it's easy to slide a unit in, second it will split a Unilock Pisa unit so the guys don't have to do it by hand. third reason I don't like any of the hydro units!

Quick Draw the older unit is better than the newer unit the end plate they use on the new one is wider, old one is narrower easier to use. a quick cut with a saw fixed it :)
    Understand we do a lot of paving with poured concrete edges and it really make work go much faster, If we did pavers with plastic edges only I wouldn't buy it.

Paver extractor GET IT!!

Paver cart This is a item that when you need it you NEED IT! but most times loader gets it in close. We moved in 1500 sq ft of pavers this spring with one, no loader access I wouldn't want to do it by hand!

Screeds I think your talking of the pull screeds they are nice!
    We have a big one we set on tracks goes up to 12' wide in 1' increments, I am really looking for one that has a slide andjustment and can handle a crown but they don't make that one yet. at this point you might be looking for a paver installation machine too to really speed things up!

And as for Sonehenges installations we just got done redoing one that was done the way he does it:( it only cost them $2500)
    typical base failure, edges sunk, center became uneven do to screenings failing,

10. Stonehenge

from Midwest

Paul, I was hoping that would catch your eye..... :cool:

That's okay - I've replaced projects done the way you do them.

Oh, and BTW - get their Slab Grabber - it works on V-lok better than the V-lok grabber does. 5 years I've never had a single block slip out. Can't say the same for the V-lok grabber. :eek:

But I can't speak for the new one (really low profile), I think I have the older model.