paver base compaction equipment

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by steveair, Feb 14, 2002.

1. steveair

steveair LawnSite Bronze Member

hello,

I've been looking to buy another compactor this season, and trying to figure out what it is that I need and also, what I can afford.

According to some literature, I'm hearing that a unit should have a minimum compaction force of about 9000 lbf. In this range, the plates are all reversible.

My problem is I don't think I can swing the 9-11k for a unit like this.

Was wondering what others use for equip? Around here, the 'norm' is you typical plate with a force of around 3000 lbf. I would really like to make a step in the right direction and invest in more serious equip this year as I want the best installation I can have.

How many guys out there actually have invested in larger compactors, or should I say, the specified compactors, for there business.

It's a interesting subject to me because no one in my area really uses anything bigger than a 3000 lbf.

Would I be nuts to think I need a compactor in the 9000 lbf range?

Also, what is a good source for used units. New are just too expensive, and I would like to find a decent used unit at a reasonable price. Most rental centers in my area don't rent many larger units, so I am thinking of calling a company like United rentals or the such. Anybody have any experience in this?

steve

2. steveair

One quick thing.

Ideally, my compaction setup would be this.

A 9000 lbf or better for base compaction.

A 5000 lbf for paver compaction.

A smaller plate (17 inch) or jumping jack for those hard to reach areas.

Any comments on this 'dream list'?

steve

3. General Grounds

General Grounds LawnSite Senior Member

:blob3: steve, we use the 5000lb, unit for pavers, works real well, i purchased my stow w/ a 5hp honda for $1,300, it also has a water tank on it and is reversible. Tony

4. paul

paul Lawnsite Addict

Steve look for a plate that mounts to your Dingo they make one thats 43" wide 5500 lbs http://coneqtecuniversal.com/compaction.html

I'm waiting for them to make one in the 60 to 68" range, right now they are 73" which is just a bit too big. Our rollers for our skid steers are 59" which is just a bit narrow.

One worry I would have is working near house foundations with the heavier units you can break a wall! (wall concrete is rated at 5000 psi after 30 days) a 9000 lb unit can damage it.

5. steveair

Paul,

thank you for the dingo link! I've been searching everywhere for one.

I think I will look into that option first. Just scared to see the price. A lot of times, the attachments cost almost as much as buying a seperate stand alone machine.

I wouldn't have thought about house problems. I really don't have any experience with the bigger plates, so its all new to me.

I was thinking that a 5000lbf would be a decent all around machine. If the job was very large, I guess it would be more practical to just rent a large compator as needed. I just want something more substantial than the 3000lbf I currently have.

By the way, what do people find works best for the actual paver comaction. I know 5000lbf is ideal, but I've always used a 3000lbf?

steve

6. paul

paul Lawnsite Addict

Steve my main concern is speed, I want a unit to to do an area fast and level, larger units do this smaller ones follow the grade more. Think of it this way, do you get a flatter surface with a small rake or a larger rake. Plate tampers work the same way. smaller imperfections are leveled out by using larger surface area speeding up the grading prossess.

Cost, I don't know about the 43" units but the 73" units run $8K and rollers used run about $4K.

7. PAPS

PAPS LawnSite Senior Member

just a quick question... i have a brand new Weber VB50 and its about 3000 lb compaction....
    1. Is that not compaction for patios and walks??? i always thought it was... (hope so)

2. True or False : When doing a driveway... this Weber VB50 (3000 lb) will NOT be good enough to compact the base right...??? i would need a roller or something steve mentioned... like 9000 lb right???

8. steveair

I could be wrong, but this is what I've investigated on comacting equipment.

If you have a smaller plate, it is ok to use for heavier duty jobs, however it becomes a time factor.

In other words, to get the same effect out of a 3000lbf machine compared to a 9000lbf machine, you need to do many more passes and also need to seperate those passes into many more 'lifts' or layers, ie. 3 inch.

This is where I'm looking for a bigger machine. Technically, in order to get the required compaction, I have to run a 3000lbf machine over a walkway like 6 times per 3 inch layer. For walks, I can live with this, but when you get to large patios/drives, the time you need to be 'technically' correct compacting becomes astronomical......in other words, for a drive with a 12" base, you would have to do 4 layers at 3 inches 6-8 times each.....thats a lot of time if you only have a 24" wide plate and even a 1000 sq ft. area.

This is only my understanding of it, so I may be completely wrong, but all in all, a bigger machine will easily speed up the compaction process along with assuring the proper level of compaction.

steve

9. diginahole

diginahole LawnSite Member

ICPI recommends minimum 5000 lb for residential work. Next tamper I buy will be 5000 we currently run 3600.

10. paul

paul Lawnsite Addict

Check for good used rollers at the auctions:) We have a 9 ton unit we bought for $6K

A roller is ok for base but very hard on the pavers unless it has a rubber covered drum, then it's useless for base. The compaction plates will do it all. As soon as I find some one making a 60" - 68" plate for a skid steer they will have my money!