Paver compressive strength?

Discussion in 'Hardscaping' started by GroundScapesIncorporated, Feb 22, 2007.

1. GroundScapesIncorporated

GroundScapesIncorporated LawnSite Senior Member
    from VA

Every paver sales rep I have ever met has give a pitch on how their paver exceeds industry standards (astm-c936).

At a techo-bloc showcase recently Paver Pete went in depth about how Techo-Bloc is the only company that states in their brochures that pavers exceed industry standards instead of just meeting them.

Please tell me if I am wrong but isnt that the whole idea, that every paver must exceed the standard of 8000 psi.

My question is. Why dont they print their results?
    I guess what I am really wondering is if anybody has any idea what kind of compressive strength belgard, techo, cambridge, pavestone or any other paver TRUELY has. I think its pretty safe to say they exceed industry standards but by how much?

2. ChampionLS

ChampionLS LawnSite Bronze Member

As a simple rule, and easy to figure out test in the field.. if you take two of the same pavers and clap them together... Higher compressive strengh pavers will generate a high pitch "granite" type sound. Older type pavers make a "thud" type sound. Harder pavers cut easier, especially if your using a guilotine. Soft ones crumble. I believe EP Herny and Cambridge pavers are about 12,000 psi Techo is also pretty hard. CST, Anchor and Grinnell seem to make really poor pavers in my opinion. Too soft, they break too easily and soak up water easily which will eventually freeze and spawl.

3. Swampy

Swampy LawnSite Bronze Member

Mythbuster here we come yeeeeeeeeehah!!!!

4. DVS Hardscaper

DVS Hardscaper LawnSite Fanatic

Ya know.....I bean doing pavers for 11 yrs now. Pavers installs as a full time gig, accounting for at least 76% of our gross sales.

Tech-bloc has only been available to us for approx the last 3 yrs.

WE INSTALL MOSTLY TECHO. And I like the product.

BUT....I'm not sold on this density stuff. And the reason I ain't sold on it, is of all the jobs we done for the last 11 yrs - there have been NO problems with the other brands.

To me, all this means is these pavers with 12,000 gigabites (or whatever it is), is gonna do is wear out our diamond blades faster!

5. GroundScapesIncorporated

GroundScapesIncorporated LawnSite Senior Member
    from VA

Do you do alot of vehicular applications?

6. DVS Hardscaper

We do and we have done applications for vehicular use. But we do not do a lot.

And of the jobs we have done - there have been NO problems.

Heck, there are towns and cities that have concrete interlocking pavers in the streets squares, and they been down long before TECHO ever dreamed of coming to the states!

The Dallas / Ft Worth Airport has holland stone pavers down, with commercial jet liners driving over them day in and day out!

The Port of Baltimore - acres and acres of pavers with tractor trailers driving over them!

Ok, now I know someone will come back and say "yeah, but aint them pavers 3 1/8 thick?" I'm sure they are, but their density rating is still UNDER 12,000!

As a contractor, it's my job to do a perfect installation. And if the pavers have quality flaws - that falls back on the manufacturer. And after 11 yrs - I havent had any problems!

So why, now, would there suddenly be problems!

I know for a fact the Techo pavers are good. I don't need a sales speal on them. I like them!

There is a particular sales rep who used to work for another manufacturer. About 9 or 10 yrs ago he told me, on a one on one conversation - "we do this and that to keep our colors from fading, this is the only paver that will not quickly fade"

Well, then he went to work for a different manufacturer! And about 3 yrs ago at a seminar he said ""we do this and that to keep our colors from fading, this is the only paver that will not quickly fade". LOL

Funny how that line sounded familiar :weightlifter:

I noticed this year, he changed his sales pitch on their coloring process. Which sounds to be 100% true, making me more comfortable.

7. mrusk

mrusk LawnSite Gold Member

I'd love to see a debate between all the big manufactures. They all tell us what they do differerent, but does it all really matter?

I think the best thing techo does is not run in the winter.

8. DVS Hardscaper

I look for some of these manufacturers to eventually merge together.

9. STONE SCAPES

STONE SCAPES LawnSite Member

I went to the techo seminar and paver pete was doing his song and dance [great show by the way] about their LIFE TIME WARRANTY. Only question I have is if they do need to be replaced who pays the LABOR ??? They say they will cover their product but not the labor. Why should I pay myself and crew to replace their product that fails ???:hammerhead:

10. cgland

cgland LawnSite Bronze Member

That is one of the great debates. I always tell my customers that the paver/wall blocks have a lifetime manufacturers warranty which only covers the product. If they have us replace the material there will be a labor charge.

Chris