Paver coping and the pool patio..how too

Discussion in 'Hardscaping' started by ConstSvcs, Apr 9, 2008.

1. ConstSvcs

ConstSvcs LawnSite Senior Member

Hello all,

All of our paver work has been driveways, patio's and walks.

My brother had a free form steel walled pool installed at his home and of course I would love to give him a hand with the pool patio but I concerned about the joint between the coping and paver field.

The coping will be glued to the top of the steel wall. The paver patio area will be on the standard base of 6-8" of compacted 3/4" processed stone and 1" of concrete sand.

How do you who specialize in paver pool patios treat the base and installation height of the material just behind the coping :confused::confused:

I was planning on the same base prep except adjusting the concrete sand bed for the correct compaction to finish the pavers flush with the coping.

The problem is..........we live in the Northeast where frost to 18" is not uncommon. Being the big brother I don't want to look foolish when the annual freeze/thaw cycles take their toll on the coping/patio detail.

To answer a question that may come up.........the soil under the processed stone base is well drained and not of the clay nature.

Thanks,
    Tom T

2. DFLS

DFLS LawnSite Senior Member

I do not know about coping / paver joint. But if it is a new pool and there is any backfilled areas under the patio areas you have to remove all the backfill to virgin soil and replace with process.

Does the pool have trusses extending into the ground horizontally around the perimeter? My Dad's pool does and the pavers heave every year above the trusses. Watch out for that too.

3. McKeeLand

McKeeLand LawnSite Senior Member

as far as the pavers touching the coping you should have a foam expansion joint between them so that when the pavers heave they dont chip the coping. this can be caulked and color matched to the pavers.

4. ConstSvcs

ConstSvcs LawnSite Senior Member

Thanks.........thats what I thought we should do.

5. Majesticman

Majesticman LawnSite Member

We pour a smooth flat collar with the proper grade that is attached to the wall with rebar around the pool and glue the coping heavily and the remaining brick lightly with PL. The collar should be 2 feet and attached to the walls. Be sure to leave access joints that have no rebar in case you ever have return or skimmer problem.

Since it is a panelized pool if you try to bridge over the backfill it will settle unless there was very special attention paid to the backfill.

We had one 20 years ago that developed settlement after about 3 years and we fixed it at our expense so I hope I am saving you a headache.

6. MowingisMaddness

MowingisMaddness LawnSite Senior Member

How did the pool turn out? How did you install the coping stones? Pictures? Thanks, aj