1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Paver driveway border

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by steveair, Mar 29, 2002.

1. steveair

steveair LawnSite Bronze Member

looking at a job that will have pavers bordering a asphault drive.

My question is what is the best way to go about the installation of the pavers.

I've been told a few different ways, and not sure how I want to approach the matter.

One way is to lay the border first and then have the pavers lay asphault right to it.

The second is to have the driveway done first, then saw cut a nice edge on each side and lay the border that way.

Not sure how I want to go about this. If I lay the pavers first, I'm afraid the pavers will mess it all up or that the grades may be off.

What are some opinions on this?

2. diginahole

diginahole LawnSite Member

We do them all the time. I prefer to do the borders firs and let the asphalt guys work to our grade. Asphalt guys her use the eyeball method of grading. While that can be acceptable method for a plain aspalt drive, when you put the straight lines of pavers next to it you can see every dip nd bump. We have done many after the paving but it looks much better done beforehand. It costs the homeowner less to do the borders first as well. My experience has shown that any asphalt that gets on the pavers comes off quite easily.
  3. Stonehenge

Stonehenge LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Midwest

Digin -

Do you find that the pavers and edge restraint get pushed out of shape when the asphalt guys run their rollers on the asphalt close to the pavers?
  4. diginahole

diginahole LawnSite Member

No. We do about 20-30 driveways borders a year. no problems.
    I did my own driveway with borders.