Paver Driveway Estimate

Discussion in 'Hardscaping' started by sciaraffamasonry, Feb 10, 2008.

1. sciaraffamasonry

sciaraffamasonry LawnSite Member

I'm a young owner of small masonry company in the Boston area. My jobs usually range from small to mid-sized. Currently trying to price a large (for me) permeable paver driveway job. Job's about 3300 sq. ft. Involves 2 straight sections on each side(1 for garage, other for parking) and a drive around curve in the middle.
    Am using Unilock Aquaterra pavers w/ granite cobble borders. Have never priced a job this big before and am looking for some tips. Usual pricing scheme is hybrid of time/job type + materials. Any suggestions on best way to price job this large would be helpful.
  2. mrusk

mrusk LawnSite Gold Member

On your first big job you are either going to loose money or make a ton of money. There really is not a big inbetween area. If you listen to my advice you will do good.

First thing to do is make a list of all the neccessary steps to complete the driveway. Break down every little part of the job. #1 Remove and dispose asphalt. #2 Excavate 14"inches.. #3 Remove dirt from site. This will help you remember each part of the job. its soo easy to forget the small things.

I'd recommened that you sub out the excavation. A excavator will be able to excavate and remove the spoils cheaper then you. Get a firm price in written form from him.

Then figure out all your materials for the job. Added in atleast 10% for error, because you will make some errors.

Figure out how many man hours the job will take. Then double it. The job will take you 2x longer then you think.

Thats all the advice i have for now.
  3. PAPS Landscape Design

PAPS Landscape Design LawnSite Member
    from us

The god of landscaping has spoken his words of wisdom again..... make sure you hire outside truckers for everything because owning your own truck is a total waste... make sure you get 20 dumpsters @$600 a pop to remove the asphalt and waste, that seems to be the most economical method, and the most important thing... make sure it takes you (5) five months to complete it.
  4. Sunscaper

Sunscaper LawnSite Senior Member

I agree with MRusk. If you're new why purchase equipment you may not use again. Subbing certain aspects can net you more $ in the long run. His advice sounds right on.
  5. mrusk

mrusk LawnSite Gold Member

Yea because i paid 600 for a container? I did not pay anywhere near that.

One of the hardest parts of going from smaller jobs is the excavation and removal of spoils!!! If you are doing small walkways and walls, chances are you are able to leave all excavated material on site!! When you have to deal with removal on soil its a whole different ball game!

If you do not have to worry about the excavation and soil removal, you have a much better chance of making this job profitable. One less thing you could be off on.
  6. Paver Gangster

Paver Gangster LawnSite Member

$9.95 a square foot :drinkup:
  7. shovelracer

shovelracer LawnSite Silver Member

Are you aware of the different base installation methods in regards to permeable pavement? It isnt like standard pavers.
  8. PatriotLandscape

PatriotLandscape LawnSite Bronze Member
    from MA

for residential use permeable pavers can be installed on a typical dense/sand base.
  9. sciaraffamasonry

sciaraffamasonry LawnSite Member

Thanks to all for the help. Just one more question to throw out. I typically price jobs by estimated time + materials. On smaller jobs that works out pretty well. I've noticed that many guys are pricing by sq. ft. Does that work out better, and what does the sq. ft. price include (i.e. labor, materials, laborers)?
  10. McKeeLand

McKeeLand LawnSite Senior Member

Dont ever price any job by the square foot, exspecailly a big one. do like you are thinking and break it all down and come up with your price. anyone looking to price by the sqft is looking to loose money.