1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Paver Driveway

Discussion in 'Hardscaping' started by DVS Hardscaper, Dec 10, 2008.

1. mrusk

mrusk LawnSite Gold Member

That the porta potty pumper truck will have to drive on the new driveway? That stinks!
  2. hosejockey2002

hosejockey2002 LawnSite Bronze Member

How deep is the base, and how was it compacted? That had to be many,many loads of base material.
  3. DVS Hardscaper

DVS Hardscaper LawnSite Fanatic

base is over 18" and was compacted with a 14 ton roller.
  4. CertPro

CertPro LawnSite Member

Is it the steepness of the drive and the performance of the joint sand?
  5. TSGVA

TSGVA LawnSite Member

18" base....well it shouldn't be going anywhere. Did you get Proctor on it? How is the soil up there...must be solid clay for an 18" base.
  6. Dountman

Dountman LawnSite Member
    from MA

i'd be concerned about that water coming down that hill.
  7. Greenboy24

Greenboy24 LawnSite Senior Member

That looks like one fun job, I've never seen such a large paver drive on such a grade. Must have been fun lol.

I'd be concerned with the water and the corners....with a hill like that I'd think that when a car is constantly stopping and accelerating at a particular point it may apply extra pressure to those areas??????Not sure if this is remotely right, just the second thing that popped into my head.
  8. steve5966

steve5966 LawnSite Member

The lateral pressure from braking may affect the pavers. I've never seen any info that I can remember that would cover this. Specificaly the bottom curve.
  9. DVS Hardscaper

DVS Hardscaper LawnSite Fanatic

Water isn't a big issue, as there is a swale that catches the water before it gets to the pavers, and the water that falls from the sky onto the pavers is directed off the pavers as we have a crwon on the driveway, along with special grading at the motorcourt.

Yes, the braking will apply pressure to the pavers! And I was expecting to be bombbarded with LawnSites EXPERTS pointing this out when I posted the pic.

I believe the driveway should have a concrete curbing with 32" footers at that bottom curve. But the homeowner elected not to do it due to current financial constraints. Paperwork reflects accordingly.
  10. Dountman

Dountman LawnSite Member
    from MA

Very interesting point. Never even though of that.