1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Paver Driveway ???

Discussion in 'Hardscaping' started by ALLPro Landscaping, May 11, 2011.

1. ALLPro Landscaping

ALLPro Landscaping LawnSite Senior Member

Must you always rip out the existing base material to install pavers, I have a customer who has an asphalt driveway with item 4 as the base material, not the recycled concrete like every ones using now. I would really hate to rip out such good material. Also the driveway is in near perfect condition, one crack running a mid point from one side to the other. Nothing major and no sinking whats so ever
  2. DVS Hardscaper

DVS Hardscaper LawnSite Fanatic

No, you do not have to remove the base, provided it is suitable for pavers.

It's not uncommon for folks to lay pavers over the existing asphalt.

Such instances are done on a case by case basis.

3. ALLPro Landscaping

ALLPro Landscaping LawnSite Senior Member

I deff don't want to lay over the asphalt, I think that would be un wise and un professional, its so rare now a days to see any one using item 4 so I really would hate to rip it out, what advise could you give me to determine if the base is suitable for the pavers, I figure I would gone in with a skid and surgically remove the asphalt and bring in a bit more item to re grade, then go over it with the 3 ton roller.
  4. DVS Hardscaper

Item 4????? Is that a meal at McDonalds? I have no clue what that is.

Installing Pavers over asphalt is a common practice, nothin unprofessional. Case by case basis .
    Posted via Mobile Device
  5. Cam.at.Heritage

Cam.at.Heritage LawnSite Member

How is it possible to lay pavers over asphalt?? I have never heard of that being done? How do you match grades at Sidewalk?Roads?Garages?
  6. STL Ponds and Waterfalls

STL Ponds and Waterfalls LawnSite Bronze Member

As he said case by case basis. Certain area's you will have to cut and play with the base to get your height to work. A lot of times it might not work and you'll have to pull out the existing pavement.
  7. DVS Hardscaper

Again, I think I twice mentioned "case by case". Some jobs will be very doable, and some will not be doable at all.

And really - thats what construction is - case by case. No two properties are ever the same. A gazillion scenerios.

Simply put - when re-surfacing of roads and highways - grades are matched. So many variables, it would take hrs of me sittin here peckin away going over scenerios.

8. greatinmulchbeds

greatinmulchbeds LawnSite Member

The port of baltimore is all pavers and is on an asphalt base, theres nothing "unprofessional" about it

All these ideas are very doable. If you rip out asphalt you will want to use more than a three ton roller. We use a fifteen ton vibratory roller
    Posted via Mobile Device
  10. Stillwater

Stillwater LawnSite Platinum Member

Another name for Crusher Run dust to 3/4 sometimes also called Dense Graded Aggregate