Paver Extracting

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by SCAPEASAURUSREX, Sep 8, 2001.

1. SCAPEASAURUSREX

SCAPEASAURUSREX LawnSite Senior Member

has anyone had success using the paver extractor thing or is there a better way than screwdrivers.. I used cambridge pavers on a patio ( never again ) and at least 20 or so here and there kind of deteriorated over a few months and I need to pull them out and replace but dont want to waste the ones around them cause they are fine. What's the safest way .. ?? Screwdivers I know will damage the surrounding ones.. So is the extractor thing worth the $180.00 Thanks

2. Lanelle

Lanelle LawnSite Bronze Member

I have seen two styles of extractors. If you can post a picture of the one you are considering, I'll be happy to comment. Best thing is to give it a try. If you can't use a booted foot to set it in place, don't bother.

3. Guido

Guido LawnSite Silver Member

If you have a good masons chisel, take the brick and cut it in half, then in half the other way, and so on and so forth until you can pry a little piece out from the middle of the broken block (so not to pry against the good blocks) Once you have a gap, the other pieces should come out fairly easy.

As far as the extractor, the only one I've seen is a tripod that you sit over the brick and it has a hand crank on it with some rope. Your supposed to drill and push an anchor into the paver then screw an eyelet into it and crank it up like a crane. I'd imagine you could make something like this. As a matter of fact I may make this my winter project! We'll see.

Anyway, I've seen people use anchors and bolts and then hook up a short rope and ti it to the middle of a prybar and had one person grab each side. Most of the time they pull out without much trouble.

Hope this helps some!

4. dan deutekom

dan deutekom LawnSite Senior Member

I usually just use 2 spades. They are wide enough to not damage the surrounding pavers.

5. SCAPEASAURUSREX

SCAPEASAURUSREX LawnSite Senior Member

Thanks everybody, some really good ideas , I think i'll have to try a few of them.

Actually the thing I was talking about is made by probst and it is like a thing with two things on it that grab the sides of the paver.. Nice technical talk , not sure how to describe it.. IT's two thin blades i guess that slip inbetween the pavers joints and you squeeze a trigger and it grabs the paver and you then lift it out.

6. paul

paul Lawnsite Addict

Your looking at this tool [​IMG]

It's one of the extractors we use.

7. Stonehenge

Stonehenge LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Midwest

We have one of those as well. Used to use tack claws - looks like the claw end of a hammer (but much smaller) on a screwdriver.

I like the extractor much better. Tougher, faster, easier. Sure, it's a few bucks, but it saves time, broken screw drivers, scraped knuckles.

Paul, I see the subject in the photo is also wearing my favorite type of 'paver persuader': A good pair of boots.

Is that one of your guys? If so, have you found success with those dipped gloves he's wearing?

8. Guido

Guido LawnSite Silver Member

Don't mean to jump on Paul's question about the gloves, but I had to put my 2 cents in.

We have dipped gloves that are on just the palms, and we have some that are all around. The ones all around are great, but I only put them on during the time I'm doing the majority of cutting with the tub saw. The rubber will get cut and wear off them quickly if your handling the pavers a lot with them. I tried mechanics gloves after that, and I wore a hole on eah fingertip and the palm of my hand. I put some electrical tape on the "heavily worn" areas of the gloves and thats been the best thing I've found yet, but once the fabric gets wet, it starts to tear easily also.

I laughed when I first saw the boots in the picture too. I have to change my normal boots into my "concrete boots" when I do paver work. When your finishing concrete or doing paver work, those tips wear down to the steel quick!! I learned to use the knee pads the hard way too!

9. Stonehenge

Stonehenge LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Midwest

Right now we just use duct tape on our fingers for brick work, or duct tape over cheap 3$ gloves. Or if we're feeling manly, nothing at all.

For my boots I started have toe caps put on - they are are rubberized plastic that's glued to the leather. Prevents the steel from peeking through in a month or two. Unfortunately, it doesn't prevent the rest of the boot from wearing out in 3-4 months.

10. Lanelle

Lanelle LawnSite Bronze Member

I also have the type of extractor that Paul posted and like it the best. I looked at buying a new one but was disappointed with its design. The handles were on each end so no place to put that persuading boot and the middle was too narrow for even my foot.