1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Paver finishing touches?

Discussion in 'Hardscaping' started by EagleLandscape, Nov 11, 2006.

1. EagleLandscape

EagleLandscape LawnSite Platinum Member
    Male, from Garland, Texas

Alright yall, I finally got this beast of a project almost complete. Compated and put some cushion sand in the joints today. Do I top off the joints with the cushion sand in between the pavers, or is there a special material to use? Thanks
  2. YardPro

YardPro LawnSite Gold Member

what is "cushon sand"???

No disrespect, but sounds like you have not done very much research before your started the project. If you don't know what do do with the joints then you probably should not be taking on a "beast" of a job....

I cannot state to people enough to research install techniques BEFORE they even bid a job... And know EVERY aspect of the jobe BEFORE they even price it... otherwise they will have no clue how to correctly price the job..

People doing hardscape work without knowing how to properly install them is bad for the industry. This industry markets pavers as an upscape long lasting product.. but when installed poorly the customers will have a harder time justifying the added cost of pavers the next time around. This lowers the percieved value, and eventually decreases the market price for our product...this is the same about any new job you take on.

sorry for the rambling
    now to answer your question...
    if you have already applied "joint sand" to your joints then you should finish filling them with sand. You can use polymeric sand in the joints (much better) but it needs to be the only product in the joint. If you wish to stabilize the sand then you can use a joint stabilizer after you finish the sand.
  3. EagleLandscape

Well thanks somewhat for your post.

Here's one bone I have to pick. While I will never take on a job I can't deliver 110% to the customer, I still might not know every detail to start with. But I won't sign off on a project until its complete and perfect.

With that being said, this whole hot-headed attitude some some people on this website is just getting old now.

One of this site's purposes is to provide information to those who are trying to learn new aspects to that trade.

While this was my first paver job, I'm not some dumb 14 year old kid posting pictures of his homedepot swivel-wheeled mower operating out of a radio flyer red wagon. With that being said, I would suggest holding the "shouldnt have done this, leave this to the professionals" crap that I observe on this site all the time.

On a lighter note, I do thank you for sending me the last bit of information to confirm what I already knew, but just wanted to make sure. So thank you.

The customer is more than pleased, and already landed two more projects in the neighborhood.

STONE SCAPES LawnSite Member

LOVE TO SEE SOME PICS*trucewhiteflag*
  5. EagleLandscape

6. Uranus

Uranus LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Mass

Wow I've seen squirls run in a straighter line while running from my truck than those lines in the paver sidewalk. What kind of cash did you get for that? Did you build the wall next to the neighbors house. Looks nice and staight and level from the pics I looked at. Wall good, pavers- ouch.
  7. Grn Mtn

Grn Mtn LawnSite Senior Member

I don't like to use plain sand because of ants and weeds. Joint sand which hardens when dry then softens when wet really must be used in the entire joint, I however have decided I don't like this product. I wil stick with the polymeric sand (grout) it gets rock hard and prevents the pavers from having weeds grow in the joints. I have used it both way -full in the joints, or just the top half of the joint. No probs either way.

oh and not to be too critical, but try to straighten your lines, you did wander quite a bit. I understand it was your first job, but yardpro has a good point. Pavers done incorrectly hurt the business overall. -sorry.

STONE SCAPES LawnSite Member

just a question what did you fill that step with in pic 0694???:confused:
  9. kootoomootoo

kootoomootoo LawnSite Platinum Member

110% Are u kidding? 110% of what?

I dont get to quote a job because I ring some chick and tell her I will be an hour late and you "professionals" produce this crap..........and get 2 leads from it.

Hows that cushion sand treating ya.
  10. EagleLandscape

Yes, thats the one thing I'm not pleased with was the straight lines. And it does look worse in the pictures, but yes I am not PREFECTLY pleased with it.

Cushion sand is just a fine sand that is used for the base of the pavers, very fine sand. And the polymeric sand to top of the joints.

The problem I ran into was running the paver lines was going off of the backs of the caps, which got off about 1/8" sometimes.

Live and learn on this one, but the customer is extremely pleased and thats what I am concerned about.

I learned that lesson on this job, and the next one won't have that little problem.