Paver Hadnicapped Ramp

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by CT18fireman, Mar 8, 2007.

1. CT18fireman

CT18fireman LawnSite Senior Member

Hey guys

I got a new small project that we are actually going to do at cost for the neighbor. It is a new front entry to replace a poorly built handicapped ramp. About 20-25 feet long and just under 2 feet of rise. I have to wait for ice and snow to melt before I can get exact rise. I know this will be sufficient to be under code for ramps.

We have done countless walks (flat and inclined) & patios but never a specific ramp for handicapped. I am thinking about adding some kind of block for the edge a bit higher then the walk to allow prevent a chair from rolling off. The customer requested that we slope and landscape the ground back into the lawn (not a problem). Only up at the house will we build the sides with block to keep soil & stone away from the house.

I am looking for some pictures, or any other hints etc that from anyone show has built a handicapped ramp before. Anything that you thought of afterward that you should have done?
  2. AGLA

AGLA LawnSite Bronze Member

Being that it is a esidence you probably do not have to build it to ADA standards. That is as good thing for you mostly due to the handrail requirements.

If you do haveto meet ADA standards, the steepest you can go is 1" per foot (1:12) or 8.33%. The steepest you can go without railings is 5% (1:20).

The most difficult thing about doing a ramp with sloped sides to meet grade is that it is very difficult not to trap water or direct water back toward the house. A typical house has about 12" of wood between the floor that you enter on and the top of foundation. Building code requires 8" minimum between the sill or siding of the house and the grade around the house. That means that the grade of the land in front of the foundation is at least 20" below that floor. As you slope that walk up to the house and fill next to it, you won't have a problem sloping down from side to side on the walk. You will have a problem as you get closer to the house.

One way to lessen that is to build a large masonry landing that extends both out from the house and is fairly wide. That will allow you tofill in front of the landing and not so much along side of it. That will shed water to the sides and not pitch it back to the house. The problem is that there probably is not enough room to do that.

I would suggest that you not try to grade all the way up the entire length of the ramp. Retain the last several feet on either side as you get closer to the landing at the house. HP ramps take up a lot of room and they can get ugly quickly.

Adding fill close to a house for an "at cost" job is very risky business. Be careful.