1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Paver Installs & Septic Systems

Discussion in 'Hardscaping' started by LB1234, Mar 2, 2008.

1. LB1234

LB1234 LawnSite Gold Member

About two years ago I moved to a county were there are mostly septic systems....no city sewer connections. I've meet with two people last season that wanted me to place a patio right over there septic tank lid. They are located about 2 feet below grade (from what I'm told).

So, what are my options for 'extending' the lid to the septic tank to meet with the grade of the pavers. Is there someone I can contract out to do this work? Also, how do I go about compacting around the tank...after all its just a cement structure.

FYI, when we had our septic inspection done at our house they tapped the d-box with the shovel of the TLB and it literally fell into pieces. So, does anyone come across this issue a lot...no so much the d-box but the tank itself?
  2. Mjh Excavating

Mjh Excavating LawnSite Member

They make concrete risers just for that application. But my advice would be to leave it below grade. Unless you can get a lid that seals tight the odor will be unbearable. Also becomes a liability (small kids taking the lid off) you would need some way to lock it. Possibly work into your design something that could be placed over that area and easily picked up to access the lid. ie: maybe a large paver slab or rock?
  3. BrandonV

BrandonV LawnSite Platinum Member

ditto, great place to work a big piece of rock or something into the patio, that way is service is need you pick it up and put it down after.
  4. Sunscaper

Sunscaper LawnSite Senior Member

Here in florida it's against code to have anything other than grass over a septic tank, drain field and 5 feet in either direction.
    I would try to move the patio off the system. I broke through a couple older lids with my skid steer last year and it's a big expense to have it pumped and the concrete removed.
  5. Mjh Excavating

Illegal here to have anything over the "leachfield", not the tank, while some of the older tanks and the metal ones are weak the new ones are fairly well built in this area. No problem having a patio on top of them.
  6. Captains Landscape

Captains Landscape LawnSite Senior Member

This patio is over the tank. Granite compass marks the lid and riser assembly.

7. Mjh Excavating

NICE! Great Idea
  8. LB1234

LB1234 LawnSite Gold Member

Now that is freakin cool!!

I'm assuming to problems getting proper compaction around that tank? That's my main concern...damaging the tank or placing a load over it which it was not intended to support. Just not sure how to go about this if/when it comes up.

Trust me I'd rather not go anywhere near the tank...and I definately would stay away from the d-box and the leaching fields. Its just for these new construction and even the older ones its like they said "We have a 3 acre property and we are going to place the tank 15 to 20 feet from the rear of the home." Drive me nuts. I'd love to place an addition on my home but the darn tank is 10 feet from the rear wall! Not to mention the a-hole installer placing the paver patio right over the top of the tank!!

As far as smell I maintain a number of places (ones we mainteance on the landscape side of things) that have lids exposed and there is zero smell. Granted I'm only riding by with a mowing or planting around it but it doesn't smell.
  9. ChampionLS

ChampionLS LawnSite Bronze Member

I'm sure the tank can withstand the pressure of a patio over it. The tank can't be that weak..it would rot out too quickly.
  10. landstyles

landstyles LawnSite Member

I've built a few patios over tanks. For this job we framed some wooden boxes to sit around the septic lids. The top of the frame of the box itself is about inch below top of brick. Deep enough to hold poly sand. Then the lid of our box is about 1"-2" below bottom of paver. We screeded our sand on the lid then layed our pavers to grade. Then poly sanded the whole pad. When the homeowner has to empty out the tank all he has to do is pop out the pavers and openl up the wooden lid we made and then the septic lid. By framing around the lid up to top (nearly) of pavers you stop the surrounding base from caving in on the septic lid. Easier to replace when finished. I hope all that made sense?

Copy of Morely 1.jpg

Copy of morely 2.jpg