Paver job you can't lay in a day or so?

Discussion in 'Hardscaping' started by xtreem3d, Aug 31, 2014.

1. xtreem3d

xtreem3d LawnSite Senior Member

Hi Guys,
    Just wondering if any of you have done paver jobs that you cannot lay the pavers in a day..but maybe in 2 or 3 days and what if anything do you do to 'protect" the part that is done from washing out if it rains. This ? goes back to a patio we did a couple years ago , all Holland stone ( so lots of laying), that took multiple days . We got rain on the first night of the job. All I could think to do was buy some big tarps and lay them over what we had done. The next day was a disaster because rain still got into our work and it took a lot of time fixing any washout pavers and getting screed rods back to the right height. If there was any good news it was that we were forced to start at the high point and work downhill because a construction company had not finished a sewer drain at the end of the patio so all that rain didn't completely washout everything...let me hear your stories
    Steve

2. jdo150

jdo150 LawnSite Member

If I know the area is in a low spot I will make a burm to divert the water. You can also put sand bags on the tarp ends this is how I store all my extra magic salt from the winter. It works great for keeping water from running under the tarp. Last year we were doing a driveway on a slope and before we could burm it up it poured and washed all the sand out from under about 1000 sf of pavers. That was a huge mess and we lost a lot of time from it so now I'm overly cautious with protecting the work. I hate having to do things twice when if I took 15 mins I could have prevented it.

3. DVS Hardscaper

DVS Hardscaper LawnSite Fanatic

This is an outdoor industry. Need to learn to roll with the punches. Which may mean giving a day or two for ground to dry
    Posted via Mobile Device

4. alldayrj

alldayrj LawnSite Gold Member

Tarp it or wait until after it rains. I only like to start what i can finish

5. DVS Hardscaper

It's necessary for me to make posts as the one above and the one that was deleted. My intent is to make people think on their own. You have to realize this is outdoor work, and with that said you need to learn to plan ahead.

Seriously, it's never been an issues.

Paver installation 101:

1) never screed more sand than for what you can lay. If you can lay 5 pallets of pavers - then only screed enough sand for 5 pallets worth.

If they're calling for rain to move in at 1300 hrs - then only screw about 250 sf of sand at a time.

2) the aggregate base can get as wet as it wants....as long as you have it compacted and graded properly. So, the rain doesn't really play into the gravel aspect.

And say you screed sand and it rains on it - ok, then take the sand up and re-screed dry sand.

For our larger job we keep a good tarp over the sand pile to keep it dry. However - most supply yards do not keep the sand dry.

In all reality the only times weather really plays into a job is when excavating for the base at the start of the job, and for fine grading at the end of the job.
    Posted via Mobile Device

Last edited: Sep 1, 2014
  6. xtreem3d

xtreem3d LawnSite Senior Member

all that makes sense but just like Scag said..the pavers on my job also washed out so I had to go back and get the rods under existing pavers to continue..to make matters worse in my case was that it was a dual slope patio so it was tricky getting the rods back in position...

7. DVS Hardscaper

And this year, it my part of the country we've have some extreme down pours, which don't help. it can be frustrating I know

8. SVA_Concrete

SVA_Concrete LawnSite Senior Member

4mil poly 50 bucks for a 20x100 roll.
    Posted via Mobile Device

9. jmkr02

jmkr02 LawnSite Senior Member

What's wrong with tamping it down and installing a temporary edge restraint? Or cover it.
    Posted via Mobile Device

10. AztlanLC

AztlanLC LawnSite Bronze Member

It's been a while that I have to worry about that, we use 1/4" stone no fines as our bedding base and have done it for the past 7 years So not interested in making this a discussion sand vs gravel vs stone dust, try it on one small job