paver labor survey

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by Qualey, Sep 1, 2003.

1. Qualey

Qualey LawnSite Member

Just out of curiousity, does $18.00 sf sound about normal for the labor on patio installs (this includes all subgrade materials, edging, excavating, etc).

Thanks
    Matt

2. BSDeality

BSDeality LawnSite Silver Member

thats a good price about these parts.

some guys are doing it for around $3.50/sf out in new mexico!! I couldn't even cover the cost of pavers and base for that around here (at least, not with good pavers)

3. jwholden

jwholden LawnSite Member
    from CT

I'd put myself between 14 and 18 per square foot. However, I'm learning that these jobs should be bid out by how long you know it's going to take, not square footage.

Get some jobs and take some pictures and justify your pricing with the photos. Many guys dabble in pavers aorund here, few are good at it.

4. Rex Mann

Rex Mann LawnSite Senior Member

BS is correct. Out West, I live in Phoenix, we just did a large job for $3.45 a SF. But, usually we are a liitle higher than that. My labor cost me about .90 cents a square foot to do the pavers. We use Belgard pavers, which are quality. My sand and base (together) delivered runs me .50 cents a square foot. My pavers anywhere from $1.13 a sf on up plus delivery. My average job is right at 1300 sf.

BTW: no skid loader just wheelbarrows and shovels.

Peace,

Rex

5. CNYScapes

CNYScapes LawnSite Senior Member

Rex Mann - Do you actually dig out and haul away the dirt for that price? That is a heck of a price for pavers. I get $9 - $11 per sf for pavers and I feel like Im barely getting by. I pay around $2sf for the brick. This is hard work and sometimes I want to raise my prices, but I want to be competetive too.

6. Hortman

Hortman LawnSite Member

well to give you guys another part of the country's price im in Florida. They install a 5000 sq.ft driveway for 2.85 a sq.ft including the paver. They are also quality pavers color all the way through.

What is everybodys base they are using?

7. Qualey

Qualey LawnSite Member

I think the base composition is a good question. Perhaps this varies regionally? I use 12" 3/4 minus compacted in 2" intervals. Pavers are laid on 1-2" concrete sand.

Matt

8. CNYScapes

CNYScapes LawnSite Senior Member

For patios and walkways - 4" crushed stone compacted then 1-2" stone dust - then lay the brick -- I cant see how any money is made at 2.85 per sf. How much per man hr are you guys making on brick work?

9. Hortman

Hortman LawnSite Member

Qualey OH it varies all right I use to live in Pennsylvania Use to do install brick pavers. I wont do them in Florida nor could i win a bid here. I see your guys specs nice solid jobs. Are you sitting down cause heres the florida specs. 1"-2" recycled concrete fines then pavers are layed then a weak cement edge is put in place and sand thrown on top and broomed in. I cringe at the thought of a heavy vehicle driving on this but they are doing this everyday and all the installers are doing it this way. They also pay their guys by the sq. ft call backs are on them

That 5000 sq ft driveway from start to finish took them two days complete 4 guys No machines

10. jwholden

jwholden LawnSite Member
    from CT