Paver malfunction?

Discussion in 'Hardscaping' started by Dirt Boy, Oct 4, 2009.

1. Dirt Boy

Dirt Boy LawnSite Senior Member

First off, I DIDN'T DO IT!!

A friend put in a paver patio, and sidewalk for one of his customers, I did the digging out, put fill, back in, packed, sand on top, he laid all the pavers.

My question is this: the soldier row along the outside (is that redundant?) is not what I would call very stable. Is this normal?

Base material extends out past the edge, at least 6".

I am doing the finishing up work, laying sod, putting rock up to one side, etc. and if you are not careful, you can loosen/tilt the ones along the edges fairly easily.

Materials were all from Menards, and the edging was their steel type.

Thanks

2. AztlanLC

AztlanLC LawnSite Bronze Member

Is this edging the ones that looks like "L" shape with spikes every foot or so or just straight with steel spikes every 4' or so?
    Were the pavers compacted and sand apply to the joints?
    What's the depth of the sand?
    When you said fill what type of materials exactly are you referring to?

3. Stillwater

Stillwater LawnSite Platinum Member

your soldiers regardless of edging used should be reasonably stable they should not be excessively "easy" to displace and no they are not redundant. I see 2 issues in my mind without even looking at it, lack of attention to compaction of base material at the edges and/or improperly installed edging. its an easy fix

4. Dirt Boy

Well, I'm pretty sure the underlying base is compact, (at least I went over it with a borrowed compactor from another guy that does this sort of stuff) and I know there was aprox. 1" of bedding sand, as for the remainder, I wasn't there, so I don't know.
    I guess I was wondering about the edge retainer quality, they do come up on the pavers about 1 1/2" and they are steel, guessing 14 ga. aprox. and they are staked down good, and setting on the base material.
    I would like to get into doing this, and this is my first "on-the-job" experience of any sort, but it don't seem quite like it's right.

Regards

5. Isobel

Isobel LawnSite Senior Member

what was the base material, the stuff under your bedding sand?

6. Dirt Boy

utilzed what is called "3/4 crusher run" limestone. This is a mix of 3/4 and smaller particles of limestone.

Depth varied some, but was at least 6" thick
    put it in in 2" layers (aprox.) and then packed with plate compactor (stone? I think was the brand name; 2500) several directions, and kept working up to proper height.

7. Bru75

Bru75 LawnSite Senior Member

Were the pavers compacted after installation?

8. Dirt Boy

I'm assuming so, and for the most part they seem to be sitting solid. What he did it with, I don't know, I, again am assuming, he rented a packer as he has done before.

I am not a pro at this, just want to be, and overall I am not too impressed with this outcome. Outside edge kind of waves back and forth in places, and when I filled in along the edges with dirt, sod, etc. if you weren't careful, you could tip the edge paver loose.
    Just seems like the edge restraint isn't very tight against the pavers and holding them tight like I would assume they should.

Just trying to learn what a "good" job would mean.

9. Dirt Boy

I'll take some pic's tomorrow if I can and let you see.

10. Dirt Boy

Here's some pic's for your review.

10-05-09_1654.jpg

10-05-09_1655.jpg

10-05-09_1656.jpg