Paver Nightmares

Discussion in 'Hardscaping' started by JimLewis, Oct 1, 2011.

1. JimLewis

JimLewis LawnSite Fanatic

There are just certain situations where you just have to look and say to yourself, "Damm...did you have to???"

There are so many things wrong with this project that I don't even know where to begin. It would take too long to list the things that are wrong here. Believe it or not, it honestly looks twice as bad in person as I was able to show with these photos. The driveway is at an impossible slope in many parts. The elevation change from the sidewalk up to the main gate is like 10'. The angle you have to turn just to get into the driveway is impossible. The slope continues to be a major problem all the way up to the garage. I wish I could have captured that in the photos but the weeds are just too tall to really see what I am talking about. The paver installation alone was done all wrong, despite the impossible slope and angles. It's just sad and all wrong.

This house currently sits vacant in a part of Portland that is one of the most highly sought after real estate areas in town. Most homes in this neighborhood go for $1Mil-$2Mil and this house sits vacant now because you can't even get your car up to the garage to get to your house every day. It's what I call "Paver Nightmares." I wish you could all see how much worse it looks in person. This was a disaster from the start, I'm sure. And it's just gotten worse over the years.

PaverNightMaresC.jpg

PaverNightMaresB.jpg

PaverNightMaresA.jpg

2. nepatsfan

nepatsfan LawnSite Gold Member

How long did it take you guys to do it?

3. 93Chevy

93Chevy LawnSite Fanatic

Looks like Detroit.

4. JimLewis

JimLewis LawnSite Fanatic

Haha...... Always one in every crowd...... You're a funny guy..... :laugh:

5. nepatsfan

nepatsfan LawnSite Gold Member

LOL...I know you guys do nice work:laugh::drinkup:

6. larryinalabama

larryinalabama LawnSite Fanatic

Looks like work done in the 1920s?

7. STL Ponds and Waterfalls

STL Ponds and Waterfalls LawnSite Bronze Member

Jim, do you have your demolition license? A few sticks of c4 and you guy's can redo that mess. I personally wouldn't know where to begin with that mess.

8. DVS Hardscaper

DVS Hardscaper LawnSite Fanatic

Do you have any pictures of the construction process? What brand is the material?

9. DVS Hardscaper

DVS Hardscaper LawnSite Fanatic

i always did like the Adams Family

10. Darryl G

Darryl G LawnSite Fanatic

Ok, yeah, that looks screwed up. But aren't the problems mostly related to the pre-construction engineering and architectural design of the house and lot and driveway? I don't think that anything the paver contractor did would resolve those problems. It's not like you can just rip it all up and do it over and fix it without some major site work. It's still going to be steep as hell. I think the blame should go to the engineer/architect.