Paver Overlay

Discussion in 'Hardscaping' started by coxlandscaping, Mar 20, 2008.

1. coxlandscaping

coxlandscaping LawnSite Member

I talked with the contractor about doing a walkway on this house and he would not even let me give him a price. He was pouring concrete and that was that now we are doing a patio down the street and the people that are buying this house like the pavers and were wondering if we could overlay them on concrete. We can and Belgard makes a 40mm paver for this purpose but my question is how can we end the walk in the pic at that point with out making it a trip hazard or looking like crap. If anybody has a pictures or advice would be greatly appreciated.

DSCF22941.jpg

2. PatriotLandscape

PatriotLandscape LawnSite Bronze Member
    from MA

Cut out a section of the crete and taper it down to the driveway.

3. Total Landscape Solutions

Total Landscape Solutions LawnSite Member

I hope someone is going to dig in the downspout lines

4. Top Dog Pavers

Top Dog Pavers LawnSite Member

I agree...easiest way is to rip that last couple of FT of concrete then you can play with your underlayment!

5. bishoplandscape

bishoplandscape LawnSite Member

You can taper the last couple feet or you can rip it out which is what I would do. If its built anything like the houses around here the contractor was cheap the base under it will settle and that concrete will be all cracked up in no time. The curves don't look that great either.

6. NMS0219

NMS0219 LawnSite Senior Member

I don't see any base in the photo. That concrete is going to fail in no time. Got to love the cheep builders. If I were doing that job I would just rip out that concrete and put in my own base. Plus I think in the long run it would be easier and take less time to fit and lay out the pavers. JMO

7. landstyles

landstyles LawnSite Member

Concrete install looks cheap. I'd rip the whole walk out. If you overlay and the concrete fails, you'll have a mess on your hands.

8. Kevmetro

Kevmetro LawnSite Member
    from Va

Just put a lip at the end of the pavers!

9. Lynden-Jeff

Lynden-Jeff LawnSite Bronze Member

If you want to give them a warrentee, tell them the concrete has to go. If the concrete is installed half decently, then just rip out the last 5 feet or so.

Cheers

10. leaflandscape

leaflandscape LawnSite Member

Rip out the concrete and reinstall in pavers, but make it at least four feet wide, there's nothing worse than a crappy little three foot walkway to your front door, the poor girl guides are gonna break an ankle tryin' to sell you cookies!