1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Paver Patio Construction

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by BeautifulBlooms, Mar 18, 2007.

1. BeautifulBlooms

BeautifulBlooms LawnSite Senior Member

I am wondering if the sand I found under my back concrete patio is ok to be left where it is. I will be adding the 12" of compacted gravel on top of the sand, then the thin sand to set the pavers in? Is this ok? Is virgin clay the only thing you wouldnt want to have underneath a paver patio? I mean topsoil is ok as long as the proper 12" of compacted gravel goes ont op of it right?
  2. tthomass

tthomass LawnSite Gold Member
    from N. VA

Compacted gravel........you don't mean 57 do you? 21A, CR6 or whatever is out your way......its road base.

12" for a patio is much overkill.......your climate is different then mine but I still don't see 12". With freeze/thaw a 4" base is typical.....I do 6" because I feel better about it.

Are building a small retaining wall or something? Why raise the patio 12"+? Yes I would remove the sand. Make sure any soil under it isn't muddy or really soft, it will need to be removed and will NOT compact.

Also...........go down a little more, we've got a "hardscape" forum for patios, walls etc.
  3. BeautifulBlooms

BeautifulBlooms LawnSite Senior Member

We used Traffic Bond 1/4 crushed limestone with fines is what we would use for the gravel unless you recommend something else.
  4. Scag48

Scag48 LawnSite Fanatic

4-6" of 5/8" gravel with fines, then 2" of sand. No soil on top of the gravel, it would still settle. Use a plate to compact both gravel and sand. Lay pavers and sweep sand in between cracks after you're all done.
  5. Dreams To Designs

Dreams To Designs LawnSite Bronze Member

You really need to spend some time here, http://icpi.org/ if you want to do this correctly. Unfortunately, everyone has opinions, but the ICPI writes the standards for installation.

Topsoil is not ok under a patio, as it contains organic matter that will continue to decompose. Best to dig down to virgin soil, compact, add a layer of separation fabric, 3/4 minus base material compacted as you add to about 6" or so. If you need to be 12" high, sounds like you need to build a raised patio on some small retaining walls, which changes everything. Once the base material is compacted and graded properly, 1" of course concrete sand will be your best setting bed for proper interlock of the pavers. After that has been compacted, sweep in a polymeric sand and compact, repeat until joints are full. Clean pavers with a blower and wet the sand lightly to setup in the joints.

6. Drew Gemma

Drew Gemma LawnSite Bronze Member

what is the icpi recomendations on raised patios ?
  7. amscapes03

amscapes03 LawnSite Senior Member

went to the certification class in Portland, ME last week. it was one of the last classes held using the 6th edition manuel. apparently their adding 3 new chapters in the 7th edition addressing "raised patios".