1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community on the Franchising Forum.

Dismiss Notice

Paver Patio Estimate

Discussion in 'Hardscaping' started by Unitedlawnscapes, Oct 21, 2013.

1. DVS Hardscaper

DVS Hardscaper LawnSite Fanatic

Sir - you are dead wrong in this post and your previous post.

MARKET DOES NOT NECESSARILY DRIVE PRICE. A contractor's competency and great reputation accompanied by a well executed and thorough sales presentation will override the "market". Effective Selling is a refined skill.

Assuming you're not a Craigslist Special - there is no such thing as "1/2 a day" job. In the 17 yrs I have been a hardscape contractor we have NEVER done a job from start to finish in half a day. (half a day is 5 hrs or less, what exactly is half a day?). Loading the truck with materials. driving to the job. unloading. doing the work. cleaning up. driving back. etc.

It is impossible for you to get all the tools and equipment to the job, the pavers, the sands, yes plural, the aggregate, haul away spoils, haul away the tools and equipment, left over pavers, unload the left overs and scraps, etc in one day. multiple trucks to one small job as I often see?? Not good business instinct, only the state highway crews can send out multiple trucks to clean up one dead deer.

There is no way you will successfully argue this on this forum, the veterans will not agree :drinkup:

2. Stillwater

Stillwater LawnSite Platinum Member

Can you educate us all and describe exactly how this is completed in one 1/2 day.
    Posted via Mobile Device

3. PaperCutter

PaperCutter LawnSite Bronze Member

Yes and no. In the DC market I'm generally seeing irregular flagstone on a new concrete slab north of $30/sq ft. When I sold in Phoenix, everyone on my sales team lost their minds when the boss upped the price from $11/sq ft to $13. I'd love to see the value proposition that'll sell patios in AZ at DC prices.

4. Stillwater

Stillwater LawnSite Platinum Member

DVS..... I did get to see your post before it was scrubbed ...
    Posted via Mobile Device

5. Drakeslayer

Drakeslayer LawnSite Member

Reason for edit: typo

6. zedosix

zedosix LawnSite Silver Member

To the op, I think you will learn quickly about how to price work, this is your first and you can make good money, but pricing by unit will get you in trouble one day. Learn your costs to run the business and to make a profit, then go from there.

7. scagrider22

scagrider22 LawnSite Bronze Member

Dead on, agree 100%
    Posted via Mobile Device

8. DEPENDABLE LANDSCAPING

DEPENDABLE LANDSCAPING LawnSite Bronze Member

Absolutely nothing wrong with pricing by sq ft. In my opinion .
    Glad to hear your views. But not in a condecending manner.
    Good luck to all.
    Posted via Mobile Device