Paver patio question

Discussion in 'Hardscaping' started by Linedrive, May 26, 2008.

1. Linedrive

Linedrive LawnSite Member

What is the maximum depth that I can use compacted crusher run to? Due to slope of the area I will need to use 12" of crusher at the deepest part of the slope in order to bring it upto grade.

Is that ok or is there another idea on how to fill this area?

Thanks

2. Mark Antunes

Mark Antunes LawnSite Member

I am not aware of a maximum depth of dense graded aggregate (DGA) that can be used in filling a cavity or creating a base for Hardscaping™ construction. In some segmental retaining wall constructions the local soils compact so poorly for use as the back fill material that “select back fill” must be brought on site and used in the stabilized area behind the wall. In those situations it is frequently some form of DGA that is imported to the job. The key is to achieve a 98% Proctor or nuclear density standard and the ability to do that is determined primarily by the size and compaction energy your equipment can generate.

As long as the crusher run is properly contained within an excavation and the right equipment can be used to compact it the depth of that material is not an issue. I frequently drive on a route that is undergoing major highway reconstruction where the contractors have raised one section of road bed over ten feet to allow for an extended on ramp. All of it was select back fill or crusher run.

3. Linedrive

Linedrive LawnSite Member

Your answer was concise and to the point.

All of the other "experts" here didnt seem to find the need to reply.

Thanks

4. Mark Antunes

Mark Antunes LawnSite Member

I am glad I could be of assistance to you.

5. BOEpavers

BOEpavers LawnSite Member

One question I have for Linedrive - Is this going to be a raised patio, or were you merely looking to use some depth of crusher run to level out the patio? One fine point in Mark's reply that could be easily overlooked is the fact that to properly compact the crusher run must be contained. That would mean a wall or some other barrier at least the height of the CR that you intend to install to level out the area. You can't just spread CR on the ground to a level point and expect to compact it.