paver patio

Discussion in 'Hardscaping' started by Cfredo3, May 9, 2007.

1. Cfredo3

Cfredo3 LawnSite Member

Hi there,

I'm building a 19'x19' raised paver patio, using ep henry coventry wall blocks and pavers. The wall should will be raised about 15". This is my first time doing a job like this and I had a few questions.

1. How wide does the compacted wall base need to be? I heard that the base should extend b/w 4-6" on either side. Is this necessary?

2. I'm using a less than 1" gravel blend for the base, do I need to backfill the area near the wall with clean rock? Do I need to run drainage pipes through a patio of this type?

3. Do I backfill the patio area as i build up the wall. What I mean by this is do I lay a row of bricks and then compact the patio base up to that level..adn then lay another row. Or can I build the entire wall of the patio and then fill it in with the gravel base afterwards?

4. Any other thoughts on important aspects i might be missing???

I have many more questions..but this is a start! I appreciate everyones help and input!

2. Grn Mtn

Grn Mtn LawnSite Senior Member

do a search on flowable fill, this is a very good project for it.

3. Dreams To Designs

Dreams To Designs LawnSite Bronze Member

If you are using EP Henry product, contact them. They have a complete staff in place to answer and assist with questions like these. This is not the type of project to learn over the internet. Soil conditions will greatly affect the installation and determine a need for an overdig, flashing or other job specific conditions.

Kirk