1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community on the Franchising Forum.

Dismiss Notice

Paver removal and install

Discussion in 'Hardscaping' started by SOS Landscaping, Apr 21, 2009.

1. SOS Landscaping

SOS Landscaping LawnSite Member

Never had to do a job like this before so not sure on pricing. I have a customer who had a terrible paver job done around her pool. The back half of the patio has settled like crazy and requires the existing pavers to be removed, dust added and reinstall the pavers that were currently there. It is approx 1500sq ft of the section that needs work. Should i just charge her a normal hourly rate to have the pavers removed and than just charge my normal install rate minus roughly 4.50sq ft for the cost of pavers since she already has them?

Basically I think 2 guys can remove the pavers in an 8 hour day, so round that up to 10hrs at $98 hr = $980 for removal. Normally I am around $10 a sq ft so knock it down to $5.50 a sq since I am not purchasing any block which would be $8250 for the leveling and reinstall.

Total job would be $9230...

Any input on this?

2. BOEpavers

BOEpavers LawnSite Member

I think you are oversimplifying this. Why did the pavers settle? Probably a base or base compaction issue especially since this is around a pool. Adding "dust" won't correct this issue so you need to figure your costs to correct the base. Also, don't assume you won't need any pavers. Due to cuts, slight differences in laying, etc. you almost certainly will need additional pavers,especially if the pool is irregular in shape. You should figure the labor to recut as needed as well. Also, are the pavers available either through spares the homeowner has or through a distributor.

When we do these our contract always states only time and materials to investigate the problem and that once we pull the pavers and get a chance to examine what the underlying cause of the settlement is we will provide a fixed contract price to repair. In most cases it works out that our cost to repair will be more than what we would have charged to do the install from scratch.

3. benjammin

benjammin LawnSite Senior Member

Yeah, why did the pavers settle? Make sure the pool/plumbing isn't leaking.

4. hvphotog

hvphotog LawnSite Senior Member

Like said above i don't think just adding stone dust or sand will solve this problem sounds like they are on soft clay maybe and a firm base with roadway stabalizing fabric and 4 to 6 " of item 4 compacted need to be installed before blocks go back in... Hard to say without seeing but i would for sure remove what is there and around there and plan on redoing the sub-base the right way. assume nothing.. give a set price to do it the right way, if it takes less than charge less and they will be happy in the end, if you under bit and raise your price they will not be happy at all

5. SOS Landscaping

SOS Landscaping LawnSite Member

they feel the the reason for the sinking is due to a ground hog. Personally I feel there is a few reasons why it is happening. The pavers have been in for years and the original install never installed drainage which constantly flooded out the pool area according to the customer. She later had drainage installed, but the drains and the plumbing is only on the area that has to be replaced, so the plumbing doesnt run across the whole patio if you understand what im saying. The entire area with the pool is probably in the 4000sq ft range, so the other half of the pool area is in perfect shape. The customers backyard is on a huge slope and when the pool was dug out, the pool company built a retaining wall and backfilled to make the pool area flat. This to me is part of the reason for the sinking, improper compacting was done regardless and probably an unsuitable base as well as things naturally compressing over the years. She storngly thinks it is a ground hog as this all has happened only over the winter months and she knows that she has a ground hog who has been burrowing near the pool. I have already told her that replacing the pavers is going to be an issue as these pavers are pretty old and weathered therfore i am sure they will be hard to find a match. I told her it might honestly be easier to jsut replace the whole patio with new pavers then for me to remove everything, fix the problem and reinstall. She didnt seem that the idea was not an option, but obviously doesnt want to go through that cost again. She does not have any other block leftover either.
    As for right now I agree that the area in question does need to be removed and evaluated. I guess the best way to qoute the removal would be at my hourly rate correct? Do you think I am right bidding 16-20 man hours for the removal of 1500-2000sq ft of block?

6. hvphotog

i was just thinking of how long to take up 800 sq ft and came up with 3 guys 3 hours so that would be 9 man hours.. my time includes putting them on a pallet and shrink warpping but sounds like you are about right on the time. If she suspect a ground hog look for his hole and also get a probing pole or lightening rod you can hammer into the ground to look for caverns under the patio.. If you hit one someplace than how you fix it changes

7. 4 seasons lawn&land

4 seasons lawn&land LawnSite Gold Member
    from NY

The only thing I question is the 100 bucks an hour... do most of you guys make 800+ a day?

8. Rex Mann

Rex Mann LawnSite Senior Member

Yes, even more if you know what your doing

Peace,

Rex

http://PaverExperts.Com

9. hvphotog

I charge 30 per man per hour and 40 per hour for me if i am off equipment and 85 and hour running the mini or such.. bumping it up to 35 an hour i think though

what do you charge S L&L?

10. 4 seasons lawn&land

4 seasons lawn&land LawnSite Gold Member
    from NY

I shoot for 500 a day but tend to stick around a while, 9-10 hours a day. Im in a pricey area of NY so Id be surprised if others were pulling off double for labor, not equipment fee's, just your labor.