Paver sealants; any favorites?

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by CHC, Jun 26, 2001.

1. CHC

CHC LawnSite Member

We get a lot of questions about applying a sealer to patios, walks, etc. I know that there are a lot of products on the market. Do any of you experts; Paul or Stone, for instance have any thoughts on using the sealers, or any brand recommendations. Thanks.

2. paul

paul Lawnsite Addict

This is one area we stay out of, doing parks we have too many small children on pavers, so we haven't recomended any sealant to be used. Early on all sealants caused bricks in direct sun light to get hotter causing burns on smaller children. I know now that there are low gloss sealants on the market but as of yet we recomend none to be put on pavers in parks.

3. Lanelle

Lanelle LawnSite Bronze Member

Use the type of sealer that your paver manufacturer recommends so if you encounter any problems, they will be more willing to work with you. Remember that sealers shouldn't be applied to new pavers due to efflourence (sp?). Using a cleaner first can help remove that white discoloration prior to sealing.

4. Stonehenge

Stonehenge LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Midwest

I like solvent-based acrylic sealers for concrete pavers. Solvent-based because, as I understand it, it breaks down the acrylic into smaller pieces, penetrating deeper into the brick than a water-based, which holds the acrylic in suspension, and is less able to penetrate.

That being said, there is a big difference in quality of solvent chemicals used. The good ones will dry much faster. Stone-Mason brand is inexpensive, and will take a few days to dry. Good luck keeping leaves and debris off for that long. And then when it does finally dry, you have grass clippings, small leaves, etc, glued to your pavers.

I use Techni-Seal. They have a nice line of cleaners as well. One down side, they are based in a French-Canadian part of Canada (heavy on the French part), so tech support isn't the greatest. It's dry enough to walk lightly over within 30-60 minutes (depending on conditions). I tell customers to stay off sealed area overnight. 1 gal covers about 100 sqft the first time you seal. Subsequent coats in subsequent years require less.

We won't seal a project for at least 60 days after install, to give effloresence a chance to run it's course. If the customer wants it done (sealed), we sell it as an add-on service, including re-sweeping of sand in joints, cleaning and sealing. We charge a minimum of $250 for any paving project. We like eff to take care of itself - the chemicals used to clean it off, no matter how dilute, will take pigment off the brick while cleaning, which sometimes, during heavier cleanings, leaves noticable spots in the patio where white aggregate is peeking through the brick.

Apply with roller, disposable brush and pan. A former employer tried to make the job go faster with Wagner power painters, which promptly gummed up after 2-3 uses.

5. CHC

CHC LawnSite Member

Thanks very much for the input.